Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I think this would be a very useful addition to our apps to protect against loss/stolen phone. Someone care to develop it?

Man who exposed laptop thief online gets his MacBook back

http://techcentral.my/news/story.asp...07&sec=it_news

The software - part LoJack, part nanny cam - is equipped with location positioning software. A representative for the product's London-based developer, Flipcode Ltd, did not immediately respond to emails from The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Many portable electronics, including some digital cameras, are now equipped with wireless Internet capability and automatic geographic tagging on any photo taken - a helpful tool when trying to see where a thief has been hanging out. It's a step beyond the LoJack system invented two decades earlier that emitted a signal from a stolen vehicle.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
May I direct you to SMSCON and various Linux utilities.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
nice idea ..would love to have such kind of app other than smscon .

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
nice idea ..would love to have such kind of app other than smscon .
What else could you want? SMSCON already has numerous features that you can extend by using scripts and utilities from the repos. Personally, if I wanted to remote-wipe the device, I'd have it zero out the MTD devices, then proceed to scramble the eMMC.

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
What else could you want? SMSCON already has numerous features that you can extend by using scripts and utilities from the repos. Personally, if I wanted to remote-wipe the device, I'd have it zero out the MTD devices, then proceed to scramble the eMMC.
Does SMSCON have a GUI yet?

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 543 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Kiev, Ukraine
Does SMSCON have a GUI yet?
smscon-editor

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
For a tech site, the article is quite bad - doesn't have any info on the technology or the tools used.

Have posted some time ago a better article of the same story here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=746

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
May I direct you to SMSCON and various Linux utilities.
I'm not sure about SMSCON, but in the article, the device could actually act as a trojan horse and took pictures of the thief and publish the location (GPS). Does SMSCON do something like that?

I'm not too good with development stuffs, please let me know how I could get SMSCON. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I'm not sure about SMSCON, but in the article, the device could actually act as a trojan horse and took pictures of the thief and publish the location (GPS). Does SMSCON do something like that?

I'm not too good with development stuffs, please let me know how I could get SMSCON. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, SMSCON can make the phone take pictures, last I looked.

As for how to get it, just install it from the app manager. There's SMSCON and there's SMSCON Editor or something like that. You want both (unless you want to configure it through the command-line), but if you just install SMSCON Editor it will install SMSCON along with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Yes, SMSCON can make the phone take pictures, last I looked.

As for how to get it, just install it from the app manager. There's SMSCON and there's SMSCON Editor or something like that. You want both (unless you want to configure it through the command-line), but if you just install SMSCON Editor it will install SMSCON along with it.
I installed SMSCON Editor.Managed to test the sms (to another phone) and it worked. What's the setup for gmail?

By the way, how does this work? I mean, do I get to activate the N900 via another phone or something like that? What's the function of SMSCON?