Posts: 43 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bangalore
To answer all your questions,

N900 plays nearly all kind of videos.

Youtube works amazingly well on N900. I haven't seen any laggy youtube videos till date.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
watched full series of tv shows I normally watch on big screen, i was most impressed of the quality

(normal ~350mb episodes, no transcoding, fast action)
Thank you!!

That is what i wanted to know!!!

Eikido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHa3AoNdglY

Look at this video about 7 minutes in. It seems like it cant even play youtube videos.

Originally Posted by KasperKnop View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHa3AoNdglY

Look at this video about 7 minutes in. It seems like it cant even play youtube videos.
You do realize that there are many factors that could be affecting this. If you look around youtube you'll see videos where it loads youtube quite faster. There is a connection factor that can influence the load time.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Lcuk, I know you're in the UK: please can you confirm that that n900 doesn't (yet) like the bbc iplayer? I understand the hope is that flash 10 will improve that.
The issue with bbc iplayer is the content is in vp6 mostly rather than h.264 and high res vp6 stutters on the N900 due to a not very optimised vp6 on the device. H.264 flash videos at similar res however play back fine with the N900 because there is a dsp based h264 decoder (and some clever tricks probably).

A BBC Iplayer native client however would be able to take say the iphone versions of the bbc iplayer content and play that back reasonably well.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
The issue with bbc iplayer is the content is in vp6 mostly rather than h.264
I'm pretty sure that the higher quality flash streams are h264; is it possible that everyone that's tried this so far has simply opted for the low quality version and found that it sucked, when the higher resolution may actually have worked better?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
I'm pretty sure that the higher quality flash streams are h264; is it possible that everyone that's tried this so far has simply opted for the low quality version and found that it sucked, when the higher resolution may actually have worked better?
The "HD" quality ones are H.264. Although not sure what resolution they are. Will check them out to see if they are playable soon.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
The "HD" quality ones are H.264. Although not sure what resolution they are. Will check them out to see if they are playable soon.
The problem presumably being whether you can find anything in the beeb's output that's watchable...

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The problem presumably being whether you can find anything in the beeb's output that's watchable...
Monty Python, The Young Ones and Fawlty Towers Are they on there?

Is Minder and Only Fools and Horses ITV?

I LOVE all of them shows and watched them when I lived in England

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
FWIW (I don't have one, so maybe not that much) the impression I've got is that youtube vids work a lot better on the N900 when in fullscreen mode.

I think this is quite visible, for example, in the example given above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryaO9WHaxlo .

When viewed as part of the youtube page there is definitely stuttering - for example at around 1m 28s in, but there is a very noticeable improvement around 1m 45s when fullscreen mode is used.

My guess would be that the youtube site has lots of other rendering going on, and this degrades the quality of videos seen in "part of the page" mode.

Wish I could try out this theory in practice..! ;-)