I nearly forgot to, but I just quickly mass spammed everyone with a quick reminder about the feature freeze in the coding comp.

I cleverly titled it - "Coding Comp: A quick reminder about the feature freeze"

Hi all,

Firstly, I hope you’re enjoying the competition so far and thanks again for taking part. Without you.. well there wouldn’t be a competition! It’s cheesey, but it’s true!

I wanted to remind everyone that there is a feature freeze on entries during the voting stage of the competition. I apologise if any of you were not aware of this, it was discussed on the competition thread but not made very clear on the wiki page. So that we are all on the same page now please limit your competition entry code changes to bug fix only for any release. This restriction should remain until the end of the vote later this week.

You are welcome to create branches and discuss ongoing active development, but please hold pushing these into the -testing repository until the end of the voting period.

I hope that’s clear, any questions just let me know. Thanks again, and good luck for the rest of the competition.
Kojacker
I basically ripped off what lcuk and Ben wrote - well they explained it much better than i could

I'll stick something in the wiki, then I'll think about heading to bed

By the way, we have had 14 responses from the donors I pm'd earlier. So far it's 12 happy with option 2, 1 would have prefered option 1 but is ok with option 2, and 1 (well he outed himself in the other thread if ya wanna know who ) is not happy with option 2 and would prefer option 1.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
sorry for the delay, my vacation is now over, heading home...
I will update everything on sunday

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
Haha, thanks guys. And you have a point, helex. I've done my best testing it, but nobody is perfect, so I can't give any guarantees. All I can say is "you most probably won't lose anything". I should have known its gonna be slow both because of me being cautious and because of people being afraid
Hmm... strange lukash. If you had asked me before I had said that you will collect many more votes than I with my project. Only because of my very specialized usergroud. For your project it is enought to own a N900. For my project you need additionally a special kind of satellite or cable tv receiver (mostly very expensive).

But I guess the collective opinion is very different from mine.

Twitter is nice, but do I really need a application for this? Is twitter so important?
Or a fast application manager? In my opinion there is ApMeFo distinctly more useful. Or Alarmed, NetStory and Extended Call Log. I have those in daily usage... or the king himself: BackupMenu (why has Nokia not integrated something like this by default?)
Okay. I will stop before I enumerate 50% of the participating projects.

So, what do you mean after several days of voting?

Are the community voting because of the usefulness, the shiny design and optics or the implementation and program structure?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
Originally Posted by helex View Post
Hmm... strange lukash. If you had asked me before I had said that you will collect many more votes than I with my project. Only because of my very specialized usergroud. For your project it is enought to own a N900. For my project you need additionally a special kind of satellite or cable tv receiver (mostly very expensive).

Twitter is nice, but do I really need a application for this? Is twitter so important?
Or a fast application manager? In my opinion there is ApMeFo distinctly more useful. Or Alarmed, NetStory and Extended Call Log. I have those in daily usage... or the king himself: BackupMenu (why has Nokia not integrated something like this by default?)

Are the community voting because of the usefulness, the shiny design and optics or the implementation and program structure?
I've a Dreambox 7000s if this can make you happy
LastGo - Last.fm client for Maemo/MeeGo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy80 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
sorry for the delay, my vacation is now over, heading home...
I will update everything on sunday
Safe home zehjotkah

But don't leave it until Sunday til you're back on, the polls all close by Friday night! I wont know what to tell people until you tot up the final figures

By the way, we got another donation today so a big thanks to Mr/Ms Anonymous number 2. That's not their real name obviously but they wanted to remain anon, but they know who they are Thank you!

Until zehjotkah tells me the details I have no idea how much it's for, so I'll add it to the list later once I find out

Speaking of donations and all that, I contacted Quim but he's on holidays til August.

"Hi, I'm on holidays until August. Do you mind sending me an update/reminder by then? Thank you!"

Hopefully that's 01 August! I think we can contact Peter anyway if we need more Nokia info in the meantime.

First of the polls, which is for the Games category, closes in 5-6 hours so we'll have our first winners announced soon

I should say, we have our first mobile app competition winner announced today - me! My team won a prize in the company mobile application contest. Platform of choice? Hehe I won't say for fear of lynching, but it's a bit fruity..

I work for an US company, what am I to do?

I'm going to spend some of the prize money now by contacting Fake to see if I can get 3 of his stands for the beginners bounty. His store isnt open yet but he left a post on his thread for me to email me..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by helex View Post

I'm also wondering about that... IMO it seems to be about drawing people's attention and fulfilling their needs. The stock App Manager drives me crazy every time I launch it and just keep waiting. Everyone needs an App Manager. So there you go... TweeGo.. maybe its a very good twitter client? I don't use twitter so I wouldn't know and I consider many other apps in that category more useful...

Your DreamRemote is not such a surprise if you think about it. Consider the number of votes you got to be the number of people owning a Dreambox on this forum Judging just from the screenshots and description it must be a wonderful app to have if you own one.

A file manager, don't know... I realized I normally don't use it much either. The default one sucks so badly that I think people learned to live without one. And what you usually need is scp which case can't do yet anyway. But once (if ever, too bad the project is stalled atm.) there is USB OTG, everyone will want a FM to copy stuff to flash disks and back...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
We've had our first 2 winners decided, congrats to Smoku (Games) and No!No!No!Yes! (Desktop). 2 down, 4 to go

Just so you know, I've emailed Quim and Peter @ Nokia to confirm the Nokia prizes. As soon as zehjotkah's back home and confirms the total bounty we can confirm shares also. Stick with us, we're getting there

Hi Quim and Peter,

Sending a quick email to ask could you confirm that Nokia are still able and willing to offer prizes to the winners of the coding competition. As Quim kindly offered back in May:

“What about this: the winner of each category will be invited to the MeeGo Conference with travel and accommodation covered. If someone can't make it then we can offer an N900 in exchange.”

Our competition has 6 main categories and also a seventh separate beginners contest that was added later. We didn’t confirm any Nokia prize for the beginners category (and Im unsure if it’s too late to enquire), but may I go ahead and confirm this prize for the winning author of the 6 main categories? (ie 6 Nokia prizes in total?)

The Maemo.org community poll came out in favor of awarding the Nokia prize to the 1st placed winner of each category and, because it was so generous, sharing the collected bounty then to the runners up. 3 of the voting threads finish today and the other 3 tomorrow, so I’m waiting to hear back from you before I can confirm any prizes to these winners.

Peter, I understand that Quim is off on vacation at the moment but Im unsure when he is back. Are you able to confirm in his absence?

Thanks again for everything, we really do appreciate your support! I hope to hear back soon as people are already asking me what’s happening! 

Best wishes,
Kojacker

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
I'm also wondering about that... IMO it seems to be about drawing people's attention and fulfilling their needs. The stock App Manager drives me crazy every time I launch it and just keep waiting. Everyone needs an App Manager. So there you go... TweeGo.. maybe its a very good twitter client? I don't use twitter so I wouldn't know and I consider many other apps in that category more useful...

Your DreamRemote is not such a surprise if you think about it. Consider the number of votes you got to be the number of people owning a Dreambox on this forum Judging just from the screenshots and description it must be a wonderful app to have if you own one.

A file manager, don't know... I realized I normally don't use it much either. The default one sucks so badly that I think people learned to live without one. And what you usually need is scp which case can't do yet anyway. But once (if ever, too bad the project is stalled atm.) there is USB OTG, everyone will want a FM to copy stuff to flash disks and back...
File Manager... I have to use XTerm in at least 50% of cases, you are right.

Good File Manager would attract me, if it supported Bluetooth File Transfer Profile (a phone is a server, N900 is a client, I browse files on phone from N900 and copy some of them to N900).
The phone can browse contents of N900 and claims to have Bluetooth FTP server. Why cannot N900 browse contents of the phone? And don't confuse it with File Transfer Protocol.

App Manager: default one makes me to wait for many seconds until dialog appears. And then it says: "Incompatible package". And then I go to XTerm.
How can Faster Application Manager be made the default app manager?
So that I could install everything in it.
And how can I add an application catalogue with local path (a local directory on N900 instead of Internet)?

TweeGo. I don't use Twitter (at all; I don't have an account). But the people who do, surely use it so often, that they need a comfortable interface for it, not a slow browser.

Best wishes to all, whether they win or not. If number of votes isn't 0, the application is surely useful, at least to some people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Big congrats to dwaradzyn and his CloudGPS entry which just took the crown in our Location & Navigation competition

And thanks to webhamster, tahitibob35, pine, and MartinK for making it a contest with their terrific apps. It was our smallest group of entries, but one packed with quality. Excellent work all round

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
benlau just grabbed the winner's trophy for the Graphics & Multimedia category with Pen Pen! Great work Ben!

Some news on the bounty front, good and bad. Bad news first. I received a reply from Quim regarding the email I sent earlier. He's still on holidays and sent me a reply back saying he'll be back in work next monday.

Hi, I will be back next Monday.

--
Quim Gil + N900
That's literally the reply, it doesnt say much. Im not sure if he doesnt want to discuss work matters on holiday, whether he cant confirm it until he's back in work, or anything else. But we'll talk to him again then The bad news bit is that it delays prizes for our winners as we cant split up the bounty in the meantime, Im sorry for that Im assuming "next monday" means August 9th.

The good news is that Fake has been in touch and he's sending me 3 of his lazor cut stands for the beginner's bounty. So big thanks to Fake! They're gonna take a week or so to get to me then I'll post them on the winners. I think at this stage, prize winners should expect hearing and receiving your awards sometime beginning August 9th but ofcourse we'll keep you posted with any info in the meantime At least the places will be decided, it's just a matter of waiting a few extra days to see what your gonna get

So we've 4 winners declared, 2 to go.. plus 1 more for the beginners contest. Still a lot of voting to do out there Tomorrow (Friday) will wrap it all up

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-30 at 01:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post: