Hi guys, i was thinking about this the other day, has anyone noticed a lot of borrowed elements of MeeGo in Sailfish (ie. double tap to wake)? Since these were elements of a Nokia phone built by Nokia employees, does that intellectual property not belong to Nokia, and thus now Microsoft? Isn't the sailfish gang worried about it a bit?

Are they infringing any patents?

I don't know…it just seems too much "in the flavor of" MeeGo, thats all...

Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
Hi guys, i was thinking about this the other day, has anyone noticed a lot of borrowed elements of MeeGo in Sailfish (ie. double tap to wake)? Since these were elements of a Nokia phone built by Nokia employees, does that intellectual property not belong to Nokia, and thus now Microsoft? Isn't the sailfish gang worried about it a bit?
Couple of things.

I'm not sure if Jolla was officially part of Nokia's Bridge program, but people from Jolla have said many times that they have everything more than fine with Nokia. Nicely shown by Nokia and Jolla partnering with HERE maps.

Second, Microsoft bought half of Nokia, Nokia's device & services side. Nokia holds NSN, HERE and Advanced Technologies.
Advanced technologies is about Nokia Research and most of all it's the holder of Nokia patents. Microsoft bought the rights to use Nokia patents for 10 years for 1.65 billion. Nokia owns the patents and is the one getting the money stream out of them.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-12-08 at 02:27.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Considering that Microsoft never went after MeeGo, but have gone after Android, I wonder if they'll extend out to MeeGo now since it's a non-Nokia entity with an OS that might compete against them.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I'm not sure if Jolla was officially part of Nokia's Bridge program,
Just confirm myself, Jolla is indeed part of Nokia's Bridge program so they look to be safe from some weird situation where Nokia decides to sue them as far as OS goes.
http://www.zdnet.com/inside-nokia-br...ps-7000000863/

Somehow I doubt Nokia will use their patent portfolio against Jolla. Though you can expect Nokia to go full patent troll mode next year as it will end countless of cross licensing deals with manufacturers, Qualcomm and the likes and use its patent portfolio fully. Nokia did already gather 400 million euros just from patents yearly. It wont need to play nice anymore.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Considering that Microsoft never went after MeeGo, but have gone after Android, I wonder if they'll extend out to MeeGo now since it's a non-Nokia entity with an OS that might compete against them.
Certainly a possibility. Maybe Microsoft is too busy on with throwing all of that email, contacts and calendar synchronisation etc etc patent stuff against Android to care about the miniscule Jolla, for now at least.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-12-08 at 02:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
There is always a risk of patent attack. Ranging from unknown patent trolls to big racketeers like MS and Apple. So, it's better to ask, did Jolla license any patents for Sailfish? Is this information public, or may be it's secret? Etc.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-08 at 05:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Double tap ain't patented imo, since htc(or lg?) can use it without getting sued. (Google knock knock features)

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
double tap? Tell me when I can't take a piss w/o infringing some patent.
A toilet system can be patented, Not the way you use it.
A touch screen can be patented. Not the way you use it.
How is that for a logic?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
double tap? Tell me when I can't take a piss w/o infringing some patent.
A toilet system can be patented, Not the way you use it.
A touch screen can be patented. Not the way you use it.
How is that for a logic?
If said toilet had a double tap flush button to prevent you from accidentaly flushing your iPhone, that'd definitely be patentable. Sure, you don't patent user behaviour, but you can patent devices forcing a certain user behaviour.

The Following User Says Thank You to low For This Useful Post: