Active Topics

We just received a quick note from Quim Gil about Maemo.org's participation this year at LinuxTag 2008, a Linux and open Source exhibition, at Berlin, Germany.Â* This is a great opportunity for Maemo.org to become more visibile, as well as showcase the best Maemo applications, and its current and future plans. There is currently a draft of the session over at Maemo.org and Quim is soliciting suggestions for tracks and additional speakers. If you would like to suggest topics and/or nominate speakers/developers, this is your chance. The deadline is on April 10, 2008.
Read the full article.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Should we put thoughtfix back on a transcontinental flight again? He seemed to have a couple of other interesting topics lined up to speak on beyond the one from OpenBOSSA.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I did not see any way on that web page to add suggestions, so maybe I'll email Quim directly. Surely fanoush has to go to represent the Determined Hackers Can Do Anything On The Tablet contingent... right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I suggest folks from Monsoon, though I'm not sure that the HAVA Player is qualified since that app is not open source. They have really good plans for the app that end-users will really like.

Another suggestion is Bernd Steinke, PM for the noBounds Project.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Surely fanoush has to go to represent the Determined Hackers Can Do Anything On The Tablet contingent... right?
Thanks but If I had time for this I would better like to spend it finishing various stuff I'm sitting on for months (like enabling tearless video playback or display rotation on 770 and otherwise tweaking video driver in kernel (adding per rectangle HW based rotation similar to current pixel doubling, or transparently zooming specific selectable rectangle to full screen for N8x0 without system or applications knowing it), using kexec to boot different kernels from bootmenu, tweaking SDL for direct framebuffer access, adding text mode recovery console to bootmenu for N810 and many other ideas). And besides, I'm not showman or party animal :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
WWoowwww!!!!!
I wish you had time for this!
You da man!!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Mmm you have to login and then Page > Edit. Yeah, I know.

Add your comments here and we will follow them anyway. But please put names of people or at least userID or something helping us to finding them and ask. Also think that the idea is to promote community guys, those names we see around regularly.

fanoush, are you sure? Don't you fancy Berlin?

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
What about Serge (mplayer developer). You can to find his true name in the garage. He is doing a great work in his spare time. Why Nokia/Maemo is not supporting his work? He deserve it. Many people/apps are using mplayer now, Canola, Mytube, Mediabox, and more. I use mplayer everyday, and I think many people is using mplayer, else everyday, almost everyday.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, now this thread is an official source of feedback and discussion: http://maemo.org/community/wiki/linuxtag2008/

Please throw names here or there, it's important. Otherwise I could just sit in the office with a couple of Nokia developers doing maemo apps in their hobby time and come up with the invitations after 30 minutes.

The main objective of this maemo track is to meet face to face and have together some discussion about the present and some brainstorming about the future. This is why some criteria for selection could be if you agree:

- "Native" maemo apps prevail over cool yet simple ports. Then we have some complex ports in between, sure.

- Oldtimers with a good perspective on maemo, history and community prevail over recent popular developers just putting their toes in maemo. Sure, it is good also to consider the fresh blood since they come with different appraches.

- Contributors caring also about the community aspects of maemo prevail over those interested only in code + hardware. The LinuxTag track is mainly about the maemo community.

- Subvertive minds prevail over conformist minds. It is good to share some hours under the same roof specially with those having good and strong opinionas about what Nokia should do with maemo.

- And for very practical reasons, Europeans prevail over the rest of the World. We have limited budget for this and flight tickets speak for themselves. Nokia is happy funding bigger and global summits if the maemo community shows a clear involvement in smaller meetings like this one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
I will definetly try to come to the LinuxTag this year again, but only as a visitor. I was there for the first time last year and it was very nice. (Unfortunately i missed your talk due to a traffic jam.)