I'd be more afraid of dropping the device during one handed landscape use >.>

But I do agree, there should be a portrait mode at least for applications. I don't think there's stopping anyone from adding it themselves like we did to the n800/n810. But that'll be annoying for users to figure out which apps support portrait mode and which ones don't.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by jimizzle View Post
You must add portrait support for most areas of the OS. I was sure that this was going to be my next "phone" (mobile computer) but what is the point of device which is pocketable which cannot be used on the go. I may as well put it in a bag. Think about it, the majority of the time you see someone with a touchscreen device they are using it in portrait.
Examples:
1)Walking to work want to check my emails casually - single handed, so that I can carry my briefcase.

2) Check RSS feeds out and about.
The device is easy enough to hold in your left hand, and to use it two-handed, all you need to do is to bring your right hand with the briefcase close to the device. It may not be so stylish or comfortable, but it is far from impossible. Reading (and scrolling through) a mail or RSS feed is easy enough with one hand, so it's not like you are using two hands all the time.

3) Check the time single headedly.
That's trivial, even with one hand.

4) Using Ovi Maps while walking in an unknown place (If I try to do this with 2 hands I will probably get hit by a bus - by adding portrait support you will actually be saving lives!
I don't understand why holding the device with one hand makes it less likely that you run into the bus. In both cases you are equally distracted by looking (and interacting with) the device, so you should probably not do that while crossing a street. Following directions also just requires you to hold the device in one hand.

People have mentioned other use cases where one hand is occupied with something, e.g. holding a flash light. But I am convinced that you will find that in the vast majority of cases, holding an object in one hand is not stopping you from also interacting with the device with that same hand.

I am not saying that portrait orientation is useless, but I think that its importance is getting a bit overblown. Also, with a large screen like that, it is actually quite a bit more convenient to use the device with two thumbs (each conveniently covering one half of the screen) rather than one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
I am not saying that portrait orientation is useless, but I think that its importance is getting a bit overblown.
Although I support the addition of portrait, I find this perspecitve refreshing and realistic. Well said!

}:^)~

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I think that the existing telepathy infrastructure should be expanded to shovel the screen directly in your brain, so the orientation doesn't really matter: I can keep it in my pocket and operate it with my....

@kanishou

I agree some of my examples are weak, but whilst it is posible to hold a large device like the n900 in landscape with one hand, it is easier to hold it in portrait single handedly (to avoid dropping).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimizzle For This Useful Post:
Just adding my 2cents.

I'd like to at least see portrait mode support for any ereaders and picture viewers on the n900. I was on the 5 train today at rush hour, in Ny, unable to get a seat yet again and there was no room for me to whip out the device to use two handed.

On the train is where I plan to use this mostly so I can see myself,not to mention the people around me, becoming slightly irritated,if I have to continually bump people in the ribs/back/head depending on their height, to turn a page on my e reader or picture viewer.

I noticed that Iphone users and blackberry users had no such trouble. I know those phones pale in comparison to the 900 but....I'm just saying....

Haven't Nokia said they're making portrait mode more usable around Xmas time?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
This device will be one of the most dropped devices evah' unless they get the portrait mode ASAP. Yes, the current tablet community that uses the device will be more careful, but people used to smartphones will try to use the N900 one handed in landscape. Doing so is counter-intuitive and will result in Mr. Gravity breaking people's hearts. With one hand, hold a phone in landscape mode and portrait and see which way you are most likely to drop the device.

I still do not get how Nokia missed this and are now jumping through hoops to add it. A basic smartphone has the function of texting with one hand- in portrait mode and for that matter. Heck, most allow web browsing in portait too.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-20 at 13:28.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
This device will be one of the most dropped devices evah' unless they get the portrait mode ASAP. Yes, the current tablet community that uses the device will be more careful, but people used to smartphones will try to use the N900 one handed in landscape. Doing so is counter-intuitive and will result in Mr. Gravity breaking people's hearts. With one hand, hold a phone in landscape mode and portrait and see which way you are most likely to drop the device.

I still do not get how Nokia missed this and are now jumping through hoops to add it. A basic smartphone has the function of texting with one hand- in portrait mode.
I absolutely agree. I've spent the last week consciously paying attention to how often I use my N95 one handed. Its everything from tube and bus rides (holding on to hand rails), walking home with the other hand holding shopping bags, typing in a website URL that you're reading in a newspaper, standing in a bar holding a pint while looking up some blokey trivia on Google, holding girlfriends hand while you check the sports scores...you name it.

Having pre-ordered the N900 to replace my much loved N95, I just hope Nokia are paying attention to this and realise how important it is for probably a large number of people. I'll admit it isn't necessary to everyone, but I think a lot of people won't realise what they've got until its gone sort of thing.

Lets just hope the on-screen keyboard is suitable!!!

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by huntr77 View Post
I absolutely agree. I've spent the last week consciously paying attention to how often I use my N95 one handed. Its everything from tube and bus rides (holding on to hand rails), walking home with the other hand holding shopping bags, typing in a website URL that you're reading in a newspaper, standing in a bar holding a pint while looking up some blokey trivia on Google, holding girlfriends hand while you check the sports scores...you name it.

Having pre-ordered the N900 to replace my much loved N95, I just hope Nokia are paying attention to this and realise how important it is for probably a large number of people. I'll admit it isn't necessary to everyone, but I think a lot of people won't realise what they've got until its gone sort of thing.

Lets just hope the on-screen keyboard is suitable!!!
Me too. I use my G1 almost always in portrait mode with obvious exceptions of game emulators, vids and long texts.

I ordered the N900 and appreciate it is a mini computer, but would expect basic smartphone function in portrait mode. I want this as a true all-in-one. G1 is not it.

Tags
n900 portrait landscape