Notices

I just installed openbox and I find it very very good... real linux desktop...wow...amazing...puhh... But I have some questions
- How can it be deinstalled, without copying restoring my backup? Not that I don't like it, but just in case...
- There are some applications that don't start. When I click on the minimo icon, it just won't start. The same with mplayer. I have to admit, that I missed to reboot my machine after unpacking and got many error messages when i started openbox. But now I don't have any errors. Everything works, except for those applications and a few more...

EDIT:
Something strange is going on... I rebooted my N800 and it went to hildon. The cpu load is at 100% and it's rebooting after a while
dmesg says something about "softMAC not initialized, chip not booted..." Wifi is not working. Both from hildon and openbox...argh...something is not right ...

Last edited by DCr33P; 2007-03-09 at 17:14.

Penguinbait: OPENBOX-ROX sounds great, but I need some clarification: I have retained my 770, and have no intention of switching to the N800. On my 770, I have a 2gb MMC card on which I've long since partitioned and copied my operating system per Fanoush's excellent hacks, and I'm in fact operating my 770 from the MMC rather than from flash. And I do wish to retain what I have on my MMC and be able to revert to its use if need be. Thus, I intend that any installation of OPEN-ROX would be on my flash rather than on my MMC. Does this sound plausable and attainable to you? And if so, which of your various above-designated sites in this thread should I utilize in order to accomplish this? I hope I'm not asking for too much guidance from you in this regard. Many thanks and regards, Jim

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
ascherjim, my old WM6.tar may work in flash, but the last to, I believe are too big to fit in flash. Sorry!! Also not heard back from anyone else, does this work out of the box on a 770??? Inquiring minds want to know??

DCr33P, the minimo is only a shortcut, you need to install minimo for it to work. mplayer link is only for dragging files or links from minimo too, there is no frontend to it. Just drag a file to the mplayer icon and it will play fullscreen.

When your CPU is 100% open xterm and run "top" This will tell you what application is using you CPU up, my guess is metalayer-crawler, as I previously posted. This is a known bug from maemo, I expect it will be addressed in next flash revision.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
And I do wish to retain what I have on my MMC and be able to revert to its use if need be.

No problem... boot to flash..

root in xterm.

(you need gnutar, which penguin links to all the time(thanks guy))

ok, this command is for an n800 internal mmc with two partitions, fat mounted /media/mmc2 and ext2 mounted /opt.. adjust for your situation

change to the opt dir

cd /opt
tar -cvzf /media/mmc2/backup.tar.gz *

to restore.. change to the opt dir

cd /opt
rm -rf *
tar -xvzf /media/mmc2/backup.tar.gz

all back

I'm in the same situation as ascherjim (only I don't have my 2G MMC yet :-).

I boot from a 512 MB MMC on which WM6 is already installed. Question is, do I have (or can I) get rid of it before I install ROX, and how ?...

@penguinbait:

I have to place a "Don't Panic" paper on my screen

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I'm in the same situation as ascherjim (only I don't have my 2G MMC yet :-).

I boot from a 512 MB MMC on which WM6 is already installed. Question is, do I have (or can I) get rid of it before I install ROX, and how ?...
I will post a removal script for ROX6 this weekend, Here is one for WM6

NOTE - MAKE SURE YOU ARE BOOTING TO HILDON BEFORE DOING THIS!

http://penguinbait.com/rmWM6.sh

download this file,

chmod +x rmWM6.sh

./rmWM6.sh

This will remove WM6 from your tablet, it leaves a couple of things behind, ld.so.conf / etc/profile /etc/osso-af-init/(some scripts) Nothing that will cause you any problems.

I forgot the links, I updated the above script, to also remove these, IF you downloaded it earlier, grab it again, or just delete the following links.

./home/maemo
./etc/others-menu/extra_applications/0779_WMaker.desktop
./etc/others-menu/extra_applications/0780_BWMaker.desktop
./usr/local/lib/libwraster.so.3
./usr/local/lib/libwraster.so

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-03-10 at 00:03.

Thanks a lot penguin ! I'll try it out this weekend...

Here is a removal script for ROX6

NOTE - MAKE SURE YOU ARE (BOOTING) TO HILDON BEFORE DOING THIS!

http://penguinbait.com/rmROX6.sh

download this file,

chmod +x rmROX6.sh

./rmROX6.sh

This will remove ROX6 from your tablet, it leaves a couple of things behind, ld.so.conf / etc/profile /etc/osso-af-init/(some scripts) Nothing that will cause you any problems or take up any space.

I am confused regarding installation of OPEN-ROX. Rather than risk messing up my 2gb MMC on which I'd installed a duplicate operating system on my 770 (as previously reported), I've taken an old 1gb MMC and flashed and installed another duplicate operating system on that, all in accord with Fanoush's above referenced hacks (which I'd used previously with the 2gb MMC). I'm not certain what to do next. Do I download the zhasper OPEN-ROX6 tar to my MMC operating system or to my flash operating system? In fact, I've done both, but cannot successfully untar either using any of the standard tar commands. Also, there's references above to such other tarred or compressed files such as http://penguinbait.com/tar, http://penguinbait.com/tar.gz and
http://penguinbait.com/bzip2 or http://penguinbait.com/bzip2.gz. What, if anything, do I do with these?

In other words, I'm at a loss. I've installed many applications on my 770 before, using the Application Manager or otherwise, but I can't say that I can follow, or necessarily even understand, the installation instructions in this thread. What am I missing?