Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
This happens to me more and more. When I unplug the charger "Battery is full" notification keeps popping up until I reboot. When I plug the device back to the charger it does not always react. No led, no notification.

I have two battery widgets: joppus's battery widget and dr_frost_dk's battery meter -qbw. Both of them works. I cannot see that they have any influence to the problem.
I cannot identify what could be causing the problem. One solution could be resetting the stock battery indicator from terminal, but I don't know the command.

My N900 was just just replaced to a new one. Any ideas where the problem could be related? For first aid could someone please tell me the command to reset the indicator.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Battery is deemed "full" over 80 percent. Is it?

do

lshal | grep battery

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Yes, both widgets shows more than 80% left. Thanks for the command.

The Following User Says Thank You to shanttu For This Useful Post:
This is to protect the battery. If it weren't there and you left it charging, it would cycle to charge-discharge and kill the battery. So, once charged, it refuses charge until 80 percent, then charges again.

Even with wifi and BT and the like, it doesn't lose more than 10 percent overnight. This ensures a limited number of cycles under normal use.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
OK. So no charging until the battery level is lower than 80%, right?

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Both with USB and my external charging i reach 95-100% so that 80% limit is not whats wrong.

And the battery's will last long enough at 100% (4.23V).
For the most cycle life 4.15V is the max is should be charged to which is about 90%

80% is 4.00V, and in the end of the day those 10% extra can be needed if you are running a "single" battery (less then 1500mAh)

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Both with USB and my external charging i reach 95-100% so that 80% limit is not whats wrong.
You missed something in the OP. He said that he can't charge over 80% when plugging the charger, not always. That is, if the battery is over a certain percentage, you can't start a cycle, but charging definitely goes over 80%.

Also, I think it's not 80%, it's 80-something or it's tied to voltage, capacity or something because it's not constant AFAICT. Still, fact remains, if battery is high enough (but not completely full) it will refuse to charge with the message "battery full".

To start a charge cycle, one needs to discharge the battery under a percentage that is close to 80 something. Also, high-drain apps will tend to push percentage lower than it actually is. Very high drain will drop percentage under 80% in a minute or so.

Oh, also, percentage is calculated by several factors, including voltage, and is an estimate based on drain (droop), not a direct correlation. That's why it sometimes goes up. As a result, percentage can be up or down not only based on voltage, but on other factors. As a result, 80% is not 4.00V, since if it is 4.2 but drain is high it will show 80%. Stop draining and it climbs back up.

I've had as much as 20% delta between real capacity and percentage reported.

Mine stops charging at 96%.

@shanttu

Correct.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
You missed something in the OP. He said that he can't charge over 80% when plugging the charger, not always. That is, if the battery is over a certain percentage, you can't start a cycle, but charging definitely goes over 80%.

Also, I think it's not 80%, it's 80-something or it's tied to voltage, capacity or something because it's not constant AFAICT. Still, fact remains, if battery is high enough (but not completely full) it will refuse to charge with the message "battery full".

To start a charge cycle, one needs to discharge the battery under a percentage that is close to 80 something. Also, high-drain apps will tend to push percentage lower than it actually is. Very high drain will drop percentage under 80% in a minute or so.

Oh, also, percentage is calculated by several factors, including voltage, and is an estimate based on drain (droop), not a direct correlation. That's why it sometimes goes up. As a result, percentage can be up or down not only based on voltage, but on other factors. As a result, 80% is not 4.00V, since if it is 4.2 but drain is high it will show 80%. Stop draining and it climbs back up.

I've had as much as 20% delta between real capacity and percentage reported.

Mine stops charging at 96%.

@shanttu

Correct.
mine as i said also stops at about 95% (USB)
But the charge cycle you talk about i have a hard to believing that, since i can charge my EV battery when it is over 80%, and that can be 10min since last charge or several days since....

I am not a technician or anything but i can d*mm well see what effect i get when i apply power to a battery and analyze the result after.

and if i charge my phone with the USB and it is over 80% it will still charge up without any error message, and this was when i had the BME at full (before removing the stupid battery icon next to the clock)
And the same happens if i try to charge with any external charger i can see that the battery charges up fine.

Thank you for your answers. The situation is getting worse. After unplugging the device from the charger it thinks charcing continues. Led is blinking as well.
WTF?
Battery and charger are both Nokia's.

Originally Posted by shanttu View Post
Thank you for your answers. The situation is getting worse. After unplugging the device from the charger it thinks charcing continues. Led is blinking as well.
WTF?
Battery and charger are both Nokia's.
hmm thats not good, how long ago was it since last reflash, or could you try to uninstall the battery thing, not my meter the other one.

Else it could be hardware, but i would check up on the software first