Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Flyser View Post
Who said something about C? Tizen apps are written in javascript and HTML5.
There is also EFL which has a C API. There are even some Python bindings for some EFL modules - still might be a little tricky as Python is not part of the recently released early SDK.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Yea, same here, but we're talking about reality, aren't we? Device like You described can be available only in one situation - when "You" (I mean, group of people/foundation/whatever, not You personally) design it, order it independently, and write things for it. See Open Pandora o Raspberry Pi (both not a phone, I know, but You understand what I'm talking about).
Not really. If the rumoured Tizen reference device comes with glibc, X11, and GLESv2/EGL as the stack implies, well, that'd be a useful target for Mer too.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Flyser View Post
Who said something about C? Tizen apps are written in javascript and HTML5.

Webos is also is and HTML. Thus should be good developed on.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
there, corrected it for you
Well, the difference is that AMD has only plan for tablet PC APU, whereas intel has promised tablets and phones SoCs. Plus AMD has a history of supporting free drivers initiatives, while Intel has a history of developping open source drivers (actually, they promised at some point that their soon-to-come SoC graphic and wireless drivers would be open. Encouraging, but I won't keep my hopes too high on that either)...

So I'm waiting for the open-source drived Intel SoC mainly because it actually has a chance to happen in the next 6 to 12 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Well, the difference is that AMD has only plan for tablet PC APU, whereas intel has promised tablets and phones SoCs. Plus AMD has a history of supporting free drivers initiatives, while Intel has a history of developping open source drivers (actually, they promised at some point that their soon-to-come SoC graphic and wireless drivers would be open. Encouraging, but I won't keep my hopes too high on that either)...

So I'm waiting for the open-source drived Intel SoC mainly because it actually has a chance to happen in the next 6 to 12 months.
and who really cares about all that when you look at the fact that amd SoCs beat intels 20+% per clock, and dont make me even start about GPU comparison, do you really want a intel decelerator(or intel branded powervr) in your device when compared to hd6250 or better?

Mixed feelings. Even if the N9 is two years old by the time this Tizen is released I think I might prefer the N9. Nokia still beats everyone at build quality.

Samsung just seems to slap together the latest mobile tech and throw it in a black rectangle to create a new model. Very little testing it seems...

My next phone might just be this Samsung with Tizen, but I am hoping for other choices...

Well, you don't see anything about the phone there, just some UI pictures.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Programs (not apps, FFS!) written in C are heaven compared to javascript/html 5 Big bad Browser dubbing as operating system.

Yea, same here, but we're talking about reality, aren't we? Device like You described can be available only in one situation - when "You" (I mean, group of people/foundation/whatever, not You personally) design it, order it independently, and write things for it. See Open Pandora o Raspberry Pi (both not a phone, I know, but You understand what I'm talking about).

/Estel
Probably if you mean open drivers. But closed drivers could also work, the key is at least to have them. In most cases drivers for normal Linux simply don't exist, which makes usable ports close to impossible.

Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Mixed feelings. Even if the N9 is two years old by the time this Tizen is released I think I might prefer the N9. Nokia still beats everyone at build quality.

Samsung just seems to slap together the latest mobile tech and throw it in a black rectangle to create a new model. Very little testing it seems...

My next phone might just be this Samsung with Tizen, but I am hoping for other choices...
Yes, I find latest Samsung phones more bulky on feel, than N9. N9 is just a gem of hardware design. Why can't manufactures stop fooling around, and start competing on hardware? Just build a device, provide drivers to the community and that's all.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-01-11 at 16:10.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
And this is how much Intel believes in Tizen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Haha I've gotten some nice chuckles out of this speculation thread. It's been too long! :'D Thanks!

But I just wanna say: if this Sammy phone makes it to MWC you all can have my left nut. Not happening. Not even Sammy is that fast.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/