Posts: 57 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Gotham

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Ahh, a foldable display. Classic!

From Kauppalehti and German Manager Magazin, Nokia will return to phone market in 2016.

http://www.manager-magazin.de/untern...a-1039530.html

http://www.kauppalehti.fi/uutiset/su...T?ext=ampparit

Model would be the same as with N1 tablet, Nokia would design the product, license the brand, manufacturing etc to third party.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I can't see how Nokia in its current state is able to design any competitive mobile phone? They sold the whole mobile phone division with employees to Microsoft. I don't think there is much of anyone in current Nokia that have mobile phone (or tablet) design experience. I'm pretty sure the deal is just some brand licencing where the partner does all the hard work and Nokia only permits to place the "NOKIA" logo on top of it.

But if by some miracle Nokia will actually design some new phone/tablet hardware, maybe they could co-operate with Jolla to provide the OS and let Foxconn manufacture it? That might be the unique "Nokia" product that can find its initial (niche) market and grow from there...

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Gotham

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri has just (re)confirmed what we have been telling you all along about Nokia’s future smartphone plans. Nokia will be back to smartphones designing but will take the brand licensing route for bringing them to the market.

This was conveyed at the time of release of Nokia N1 as well, but Nokia’s official statement sometime ago that they are not planning to manufacture and sell Phones currently, muddied the waters a bit. Nokia has now settled the confusion for ever in an interview to the German “Manager Magazine”.

Hamburg – Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri is planning the re-entry into the mobile phone business: “We will see us suitable partners to”, said Suri magazine in an interview with the manager and announced it to license the brand from 2016 to mobile phone manufacturers. Still, it is not allowed to sell mobile phones the formerly largest manufacturers in the world: 2013, the Finnish group had its mobile business to Microsoft Show stock chart sold and is contractually committed to stay away of the industry until the second half of the year 2016.

After the end of the clause, Nokia will Show stock chart challenge his former partner in the business, but: “Microsoft makes mobile phones, we would they only design and provide the brand name per license. But of course we would be able to attack, otherwise we could let it be equal”, Suri said in an interview.

Source

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
This would be actually very nice for Jolla if they could get some licensing on the Nokia name. Would be great publicity for Sailfish OS, that is running on the Nokia

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I am wondering if Nokia Mobile division sold to Microsoft included Nokia Concept division... They certainly didn't sell their patents.

It's possible that Nokia is using their patent division, and probably their Internet-Tablet-without-Cellular (if they still have this division), to roughly sketch out their concept-futuristic phones to be manufactured by somebody else.

The foldable is actually funny... Except, the display will not survive the strain.

If you want actually unusual form-factor, never seen before in cellular phones... Take a look at instant Polaroid camera:

https://filmphotographyproject.com/s...dSpectraSE.jpg

The only thing will bring Nokia back if they reinvent mobile device.

No, I'd rather Jolla not be associated with that dreaded Nokia name. It just brings back so many nightmares, that Dr Watson might have to double my dose of Antivirus. I've just been crashing all over the place ever since my consciousness was uploaded into the internet.

I'm flattered

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
What would be nicer for Jolla is if Nokia decided to contribute software development resources, assisting in hardware adaptation as well as providing open platforms that Sailfish could run on. Maybe they'd get involved with "PutinOS" or whatever the Russian gov sanctioned OS is called.

Jolla licencing the Nokia name is back-asswards and I would guess without the OS improving drastically, most customer's reactions would be "WTF? This isn't a Nokia".

Tags
nokia, nokia mobile