Posts: 115 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sankt-Peterburg, Russia
Hello,

Suddenly touch screen vibration has stopped working on my N9. Long tap, keyboard keys and call vibration is working, but not touch screen (when you click on apps, or folders on home screen or select something in the menu, the vibration is not there). I thought it could be software issue at first, so I tried different kernels and then complete reflash with no luck. Is it possible to fix it?

The Following User Says Thank You to ekze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
If a complete flash didn't solve it then I guess its a hardware issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, it seems like it. It stopped working right after i installed Power Pack, could it be related? Maybe there is some kind of a test app available to test vibration?

Add: I found Vibro on ovi store. Vibration works fine there.

Is there any way to change the behavior of vibration in Harmattan? Some config file somewhere maybe, anyone knows?

Last edited by ekze; 2015-01-11 at 15:08.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Power Pack likely changed something. Can you look up what files belong to the Power Pack? On N900, I would have used dpkg for that. On N9, I guess you need to use zypper?..

[Edit]
Ah, yes, Harmattan uses dpkg, too. [zypper is on Nemo Mobile and SailfishOS...]

Also, /var/lib/dpkg/info/power*pack*.postinst and the like could help.
[/Edit]

Best wishes. Thank you.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2015-01-12 at 00:57. Reason: /url -> /thread; correction

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
[thread=87047]On N900, I would have used dpkg for that. On N9, I guess you need to use zypper?..
You must have mistaken Harmattan for SailfishOS. Harmattan on the N9 is of course Debian-based, just as the N900. So dpkg will do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
There is no power pack postint unfortunately in there. Also I couldnt find any specific package that would correspond to powerpack. I used N9QT to install it and it updated a whole lot of system files, but it seems that there is no meta-package.
So it is possible that power pack has damaged my hardware or this is just a coincidence?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
"Add: I found Vibro on ovi store. Vibration works fine there."

Hardware is fine. Mis-configure happened. Did you reboot N9 after switching on power-pack-tweak? Does N9QT have any logs?

Find which files are responsible for power-pack tweak in N9QT; there should be batch scripts for switching it on and off.

Read this directory, if everything else fails:

/home/user/MyDocs/.N9QTweakBackup/

Thank you. Best wishes.

I did a reboot, tried different kernels and even reflashed my phone with no success of getting touch vibration back. Virtual keyboard and status-menu touch vibration works, but feels a bit different from what it was before.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
After a reflash? That would suggest a hardware problem. Most likely a piece of pocket lint got stuck in the vibrator.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Ok, maybe. [Trying to explain how-it-could-work to myself] If touch vibration used to be weaker than other vibrations, then it is possible that a piece of something stops touch vibration, while other vibrations get through...

Recommended solution (for N900, at least) is:

switch on the vibrator, so that it would vibrate without stopping
dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_vibrator_pattern_activat e string:'PatternIncomingCall'

Wait for some time while the vibrator is working; whilst it is working, hit the phone to help the motor to un-stick the piece of something

switch off the vibration (so that it would go back to vibrate-on-touch or whatever its usual behaviour is)
dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_vibrator_pattern_deactiv ate string:'PatternIncomingCall'

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: