Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Mer is a fork of the MeeGo code base. Is it not? It's not a from scratch project.
hmm..
fork to me is when you clone repositorys and change stuff and loose ncompability with upstream?

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
hmm..
fork to me is when you clone repositorys and change stuff and loose ncompability with upstream?
Well, forks can have different variety. You can copy part of the code, while not some other part. At least partially it's a fork. May be Stskeeps can clarify the actual relation between Mer and MeeGo project code wise. And not all forks are supposed to lose compatibility as well. Fork just means a parallel development / cloned codebase for whatever reason.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Well, forks can have different variety. You can copy part of the code, while not some other part. At least partially it's a fork. May be Stskeeps can clarify the actual relation between Mer and MeeGo project code wise. And not all forks are supposed to lose compatibility as well. Fork just means a parallel development / cloned codebase for whatever reason.
I'd rather call it continuation of MeeGo since the original project is dead. In any case that's just semantics, the main point is that the code and the idea lives on with Mer.

Yes. So it's somewhat confusing to say that Jolla is based on Meego and Mer (like Wiki says now). I'd say like Stskeeps that it's based on Mer and continues MeeGo spirit.

Some examples of forks that I can think off the top of my head;

Nessus -> OpenVAS
The fork was because Nessus decided to become more commercial and / or stopped accepting code from the community. (I might be remembering that a little wrong)

Nagios -> Icinga. Nagios didn't want to change it's look, felt like they wanted to commercialize it and stopped accepting patches for bugs, so Icinga was created.

Redmine -> Chiliproject
Not entirely sure on this one, but it looks like a lot of Chiliprojects goals are to revamp the interface of Redmine. This particular case, I don't think they should have forked it, and instead just helped out with the main project.

MeeGo -> (current) Mer.
From what I understand of it, Mer was a project before MeeGo, right? A project to bring Maemo to other platforms, but then MeeGo came about and it seemed to fade away for a while, then MeeGo had Nokia leave the project, then Intel, and now Mer takes over where MeeGo left off.

Pretty sure I got all of that right. But if not. Meh

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Well, Mer did exist before Meego being based on Maemo efforts, but it redefined itself after Meego later.

And an example of fork with maintaining compatibility is OpenSolaris -> illumos.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
XFree86 -> X.org
OpenOffice -> LibreOffice
GCC -> EGCS (-> GCC)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Build a comercial phone with mer is really intressting and strange. How will that succeed?

Im waiting for announcment.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The only hope for Jolla is to be able to create something that, on some level, is interesting for Baidu in their OS.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I hope they have some cool things up it sleeves. The OS alone will not do it. Its all about Elops favorite word: ECOSYSTEM.

Im still waiting. Will be an awasome announcment.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla