I'm considering purchasing the N800 and have a real desire to use it for videoconferencing with my family when I am away from home. I've got a Linux-based (Ubuntu) desktop at home which I have used with WengoMeeting (http://www.wengomeeting.com) to have videoconferences successfully in the past. WengoMeeting is web-based, and I believe it utilizing Flash to perform the video conferencing part.

I read that the N800 supports Flash, so wonder if it would work with WengoMeeting??? Anyone with an N800 care to go out to http://www.wengomeeting.com and give it a try? I'd really appreciate any feedback here, or other suggestions as the N800 looks snazy! I'm just wondering if it's going to work for my main needs (videoconferencing with a Ubuntu Linux-based desktop).

Thanks!

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

This WengoMeeting might really work with N800.

If anyone wants to try it with me on my N800, here is my Email:

RobMtl007@yahoo.ca

Send me a message for a short test.

Regards Robert

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm trying it now Rob. The web site is VERY slow. Also, I may have screwed up the time conversion...

EDIT: I'm not sure I like Wengomeeting.

For one, the time is difficult to determine; GMT+1 is the default and you have to calculate your meeting time from there. AM and PM are not shown on the times listed, making it difficult to determine if you've really selected the correct time (leaving out assumptions).

For another, the site does not apparently store info about your meeting in a usable form-- instead, a meeting url is emailed to you. I'd prefer that, as the meeting originator, I could see meeting details after logging into my wengo account right on the web page. I see no way to do this.

After navigating via the N800 to the url I was sent, I was faced with a meeting page that told me nothing. I don't even see myself as a participant. As of now i'm not sure if this is a site shortcoming or a problem with the N800.

Maybe I need to search for alternatives...

EDIT 2: something I forgot-- the N800's webcam won't be able to interface with the site. Another drawback.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-07-03 at 19:20.

Greetings TexRat:

I'm online now and I'm going to my link at Yahoo mail.

If I don't see you on my N800, I'll try with my Desktop OK.

When you see my name that means I'm online.

Regards Robert

So far you aren't showing up in the Participants list.

Meanwhile, I've been searching on alternatives and growing increasingly discouraged. Most rely on technology the N800 doesn't have. It looks like the closest we'll get to web conferencing via tablets for now is using pidgin/GAIM.

Does flash access the video camera?

Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Does flash access the video camera?
Currently the web camera is triggered by one built in app (the tablet's native video conferencing) and the add-on camera app. Additional functionality is going to depend on developers (and maybe Nokia).

Greetings:

On my DeskTop with Windows XP, after I click the link I see TexRat's Email address.

But there is nothing on the N800

Regards Robert

Yeah, wengomeeting appears to be a bust on the N800. No surprise.

if somebody would create a driver of some sort that linked the camera to flash player (warning: i'm talking out of my butt here -- but it sounds like this is more dependent on the flash player supporting this webcam), the n800 could use virtually any flash video conferencing service and do multichat across platforms.