Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Serbia
Hello everyone, I've been thinking about buying an N9. Currently my main phone is a Nokia 700.
Is the N9 good enough to be used in 2015? (and is it worth upgrading?) I am not an extremely advanced user, I would use it for stuff that a big part of N9 owners do. And is 16 gb enough for a typical user?
ps. sorry if this is the wrong topic for such a question.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fwiffo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yes, it is definitely worth a buy. Even in 2015!
Depends a bit on price. But HW together with the OS is still working good.
Of course it has some flaws, but most of them were community solved.

So you should like to tinker...

A 16G device may completely suffice. Depends on what you like to do/store on it.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I would consider the N9 for Drive (an excellent offline navigation program) alone. It has a lot of other nice features such as the AMOLED display. On the other hand, it was a stillborn and there are never going to be any OS updates. Luckily it is quite mature as it is.

If you want a similar device that is under active development but has still some way to go to reach that level of maturity, you don't mind that it's a bit overgrown for a phone and is twice as expensive as a used N9, go for a Jolla.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
If you like to tinker, yes. If you like to learn new things, yes. If you font mind staying up Gore hours looking at a terminal screen, yes. Last month I pulled my barely used 64gb N9 out of the drawer because it was easily the most elegant phone I'd ever bought. For months I had been religiously reading this sight and had become as disillusioned with android these past few years as i had with ios when it first came out. I'm a phone nerd in the fullest and had learned everything i could about android, rooting etc, i have owned 11 different androids and came to the conclusion that they are ALL the same.BORING. So i spent a few days with the phone on wifi, adding and changing things, and then it took a solid two weeks of switching Sims between the G3 and the N9 to kick my play services and app addictions.But now I've never felt better and would never go back. The n9 is a unique beautiful phone , the OS is simply amazing, and this community that supports these old devices is a true blessing. I would buy one in a heartbeat and encourage others to do so as well, it has its flaws but with a little adjustment and help from this community its worth every bit. 2+ ghrz octacore, down to 1.150 single core and an android fanboy no more lol...end of rant, get the phone, btw amazon has 64gb n9s for 234.99

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nate5683 For This Useful Post:
The N9 is still a very good phone by today's standards. I'm sure you'll like it. I have a 16GB one and that has been big enough for me.

Some of the actions take a minute or two to get used to ( the swipe across to change between apps and the swipe down to close) and some of the nifty features are not immediately obvious.

For an OS that has only had one update it is very mature, is very stable and very well featured. Much better than WP. The phone comes with Swype preinstalled, along with Skype and a host of other apps. It has a very good document reader, BUT doesn't have any document creation or editing software ala QuickOffice etc.

The camera is very good and as already mentioned the Maps and Drive apps on their own make the phone very worthwhile.

For me there are only two things I miss on the N9, a keyboard like the E7 or N950 have, and document editng software. Otherwise it's perfect.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alan Breen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
I upgraded to the N9 from a Nokia 700. How bout that?? The N9 is a love hate relationship. There are so many wonderful things about this phone, but it's old. And slow. The N9 is relatively smooth, but I will warn you now, it is slower than the 700. I noticed it immediately after I switched. It's not unacceptablely slow, just not as snappy. I really liked Symbian Belle, but I didn't miss it after switching to Meego. But as great as Meego is, I wouldn't recommend it in 2015. Instead check out Jolla or Black Berry 10 if you're interested in trying a gesture based OS. I am NOT an app heavy user, but as more and more new services become available on modern platforms I am starting to feel dissatisfied with the N9. Mainly because I got a Pebble smartwatch for Christmas, and there's support for the N9 but it's limited. Like I said, try Jolla or Blackberry. Unless you have cash to burn, pass on the N9.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nope. Not at all. But that's my own opinion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ India
I switched from C7 to N9 last year as my daily driver, got the 64 GB one.
I got it because I just had to have it because of sexy design, and linux Harmattan is so great to use, love it.
I wanted to learn my through through linux, and do things on the go. I am satisfied with it even if doesn't provide stuff other phones do. It suffices my needs. I do miss things from my C7 like FMTx, USB-OTG, smartdial, 720p video playback

So i would say that if u want a new phone, then there are many better options, but if u are like me, and just have to own an N9, get it(even in 2015), you won't regret it.

A few days back to i switched back to C7, and use N9 not as a primary phone but handheld linux device and gonna use it for development, experimenting and stuff.

Last edited by tioubxancur; 2015-01-10 at 07:17.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tioubxancur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
I have jolla1 blackberry10 and nokiax (temporary) but I still prefer to n9 and I would prefer to use n950 but I just keep it religiously in a box for preservation consern (can someone help to replace that screen?) ?

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
No. Compared to modern devices it's slow. Bugs will never be fixed. Using an abandoned device is pain because everything is just getting worse, nothing will get better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shanttu For This Useful Post:

Tags
buying n9, nokia n9