Notices

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
I dont think its a remote/bandwidth problem.

I installed asterisk on my N900 and connected with the SIP. Guess what, i was getting choppy sound when i play a recording through asterisk which is installed on N900 and no connection with internet.

It is definitely audio processing unit/codec stuff.
Have you tried allowing the iLBC in the extension configuration file of asterisk? That should work, for all I know all the N900's are the same.

Originally Posted by rajil.s View Post
Any improvements?
I have been on vacation, so I haven't been using it much (internet has been spotty), but the few times that I have tried it I didn't have any problems.

Hi,

I've played a little bit, because I couldn't manage to launch the script on calls via dbus-scripts.d, it happened nothing.

I don't know how good it is or not and how affect the power consumption of the phone, but it seems to be working, although it is about 1 hour old.

I start it upon boot and now SIP and Skype connections work fine.

So, here it is:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

let LAST=2
while true; do

if [ $(pidof telepathy-stream-engine) ]; then
            let NOW=1
        else
            let NOW=0
    fi

if [ $NOW != $LAST ]; then

if  [ $NOW -eq 0 ]; then
            sh /bin/speedadaptnormal > /dev/null
        else
            sh /bin/speedadaptfix > /dev/null
        fi
    fi

let LAST=1
        else
            let LAST=0
    fi
    sleep 5
done
Maybe the 'code' itself is not the best, and it is my very first try to make something like a 'script', so please be patient.

I don't know its possibilities, so if anyone can advice a better solution, I'm happy to hear it.

Also, if you say it is a completely bad solution, please write your opinion.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Seatle, WA
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
Hi,

I've played a little bit, because I couldn't manage to launch the script on calls via dbus-scripts.d, it happened nothing.

I don't know how good it is or not and how affect the power consumption of the phone, but it seems to be working, although it is about 1 hour old.

I start it upon boot and now SIP and Skype connections work fine.

So, here it is:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

let LAST=2
while true; do

let NOW=1
        else
            let NOW=0
    fi

if  [ $NOW -eq 0 ]; then
        else
        fi
    fi

let LAST=1
        else
            let LAST=0
    fi
    sleep 5
done
Maybe the 'code' itself is not the best, and it is my very first try to make something like a 'script', so please be patient.

I don't know its possibilities, so if anyone can advice a better solution, I'm happy to hear it.

Also, if you say it is a completely bad solution, please write your opinion.
can this not be put in some event.d and the script be called when some event happen? I am not sure what event to trigger to, but just a thought.

I also would like to know this, but I haven't found anything I can trigger this script with.

It would be better though...

Maybe it is much better to check the 'pidof' only once a time, so like this one:

Last, it would be better to set the "LAST" variable when it really changed, so put it in the [ $NOW != $LAST ] statement.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

let LAST=2
while true; do

let NOW=1
        else
            let NOW=0
    fi

if  [ $NOW -eq 0 ]; then
        else
        fi

let LAST=NOW

fi

sleep 5
done

Last edited by VaZso; 2011-07-07 at 13:12.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Paris, France
To add my two cents, I long quit any hope using SIP. It was useless : too choppy to even speak a few words : I could hear perfectly remote side but I wouldn't be understood. Skype has always been fine though, even on 3G, so I suspected my SIP provider Wengo (a service from French ISP SFR) codec to be N900 unfriendly.

Lately I tried to investigate further. I run CSSU with kernel-power. I read that SIP choppy problems could occur with that specific kernel.

But before reverting to Nokia kernel I remembered I didn't do any kernel upgrades with my recent PR upgrades

So I gave reinstall a go with :
apt-get install --reinstall kernel-power kernel-power-modules kernel-power-flasher

And ... voilą !!!!!! I can use SIP again through wifi. At least this morning I was able to have a loud and clear 10 minutes conversation before restarting the call. For me it's much better than nothing.

I also played with pulseaudio in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf going from 2 to 5 in default-fragments. Don't know if it helped.

Still for me SIP over 3G is very choppy, but this can be for a lot of reasons : codec is too bandwidth consuming for my weak 3G connexion, but I mainly suspect my provider to downgrade sip port (SIP over 3g is not allowed here). I should run some further tests. If anyone is interested, just let me know.

Hello everybody,

I think I have the same problem or a similar one. If I make or receive a SIP call, after some time the audio starts getting choppy and after a while I can't hear anything, while the other end can hear me perfectly. If I wait a few seconds it recovers, but then the problem will happen again in the same call.

This happens both with wifi and 3G.
I tried changing the codec from PCMU to iLBC, it didn't help.
I am running 1.2 (haven't tried kernel-power).
I haven't read the whole thread (yet), but would appreciate some quick help.

I know this thread is old, so I have some hope somebody already found a solution for this. I will be monitoring this thread, if somebody has an answer even 2 years from now, please post a solution here.

Originally Posted by lameventanas View Post
If I make or receive a SIP call, after some time the audio starts getting choppy and after a while I can't hear anything, while the other end can hear me perfectly. If I wait a few seconds it recovers, but then the problem will happen again in the same call.
I am struggling with the same issue though for me it is with skype not SIP. In my own words though:
The other party can hear me fine but I hear intermittent choppy audio about every 1-10 seconds from the remote party. Previously everything was perfect.

This issue appeared after installing tweaks from:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73315
So far I have uninstalled/reverted everything from that post though I still use CSSU and kernel-power.

I have also looked at:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/...roken_packages
which recommends against using:
battery patch
speed patch

I was recently able to fix choppy skype audio and restore the previous state of my n900 by doing:
sudo kernel-config load ideal
sudo kernel-config default ideal

The audio chop is thus likely affected by:
kernel-config

By simply tuning the frequencies, voltages, etc. the chop can be increased and decreased.

This is evident by running:
sudo kernel-config load ideal
and doing a skype test call to echo123
And then running:
sudo kernel-config load myprofile
(where myprofile could be whatever settings)
and doing a skype test call to echo123 again to compare audio chop
This can be repeated until a suitable kernel-config is found.

---------------

More info:
Not sure if this fix is specific to my phone. Skype still has occasional chop glitches but they are no longer significant enough to distort audio to a point where I can not understand or it is not usable.

The maemo overclocking wiki commands are what I was using with "myprofile" are listed at:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#Overclocking
http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#Undervolting
ie) myprofile
sudo kernel-config load default
sudo kernel-config limits 250 900
sudo kernel-config save myprofile
vi /home/user/.kernel/myprofile
SMARTREFLEX_VDD1=1 SMARTREFLEX_VDD2=1
sudo kernel-config load myprofile

Ironically the settings on the wiki seem to improve everything on my n900 with the exception of making more chop on skype (on my side only) as well as decreased audio volume to on the handset I am calling. I can even play video again without reboots/instability.

Going with the n900 default settings and no overclock seemed to be too slow to go back to and I haven't necessarily noticed any improvement to skype chop using:
sudo kernel-config load default

Hope this helps someone. Also, this phone is 3 years old already!