Active Topics

Notices

pierrem, TomJ: it sounds like the --background switch after the name of the executable is missing (http://wiki.maemo.org/Qalendar#How_to_replace).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
What would you (everyone) think of buttons that let you select a specific timezone for an event date/time?

When I'm in a different timezone than the place for which I enter an event, the time (and possibly the date) gets screwed up (adjusted by the offset I travel along) when I move between timezones.

I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, but maybe someone has a good idea how to do that?

Another option might be not to adjust event times by timezone offsets.

What do you all think?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
What would you (everyone) think of buttons that let you select a specific timezone for an event date/time?

When I'm in a different timezone than the place for which I enter an event, the time (and possibly the date) gets screwed up (adjusted by the offset I travel along) when I move between timezones.

I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, but maybe someone has a good idea how to do that?

Another option might be not to adjust event times by timezone offsets.

What do you all think?
In screen real-estate terms, not a problem; bothe the date and time buttons in the edit event dialogue have right hand padding that could be reduced to incorporate a time zone button. That would default to "Local (GMT+x)" and pressing it could give options of GMT+whatever (remembering to include the various half hour and two 45 minute offsets). How hard this would be to code, I don't know.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I would like such option, but am afraid that might break the (not so stable) sync with other calendars? This would be a no-go.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Feature request: set an alarm on arbitrary day at arbitrary time. E.g. I set up the event for 22 Apr (whole day), and the alarm is 17 Apr at 17:20. It would be easier than setting up days and hours before.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Similar to the above, an option to have multiple alarms for the same evnt.

A used case: someone's birthday coming up. An alarm goes off a week beforehand. I tick it off an immediately forget it. Having another reminder 3 days before and another one 1 day and finally one on the day would be nice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I would like such option, but am afraid that might break the (not so stable) sync with other calendars? This would be a no-go.
It shouldn't change the way the entry is stored in the Calendar database - Qalendar is using the same backend as the stock Calendar which I imagine stores all times as GMT. <fx: pause to check spec> All times are stored as UTC in Unix Time Format, so I guessed well. It would just be for ease and accuracy of entering the correct time given in another time zone, without having to change the system timezone.

The entry should still be displayed in device local time, as it would be confusing in the day view otherwise, perhaps with a note added to the description field giving the times for the timezone it was entered in.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2014-03-23 at 10:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Qalendar 0.9 is out. With support for birthday calendar and configurable first day of week, I think it can finally be considered a full replacement for the stock calendar. The changelog:
  • Support for birthday calendar.
  • Support for editing birthday alarms.
  • Handle D-Bus requests to display birthday events.
  • Append person's age to birthday events.
  • Added options to change the first day of week for viewing and recurrence calculations.
  • Unified alarm picker for all types of entries.
  • Added context menu to event/task window and clone option to relevant context menus.
  • Ability to clear default (irremovable) calendars.
  • Prevent scrolling to the top when reloading various lists.
  • Configurable date formats.
  • Updated translations.

The idea with timezones seems reasonable. As TomJ already mentioned, Time in the calendar database is stored in UTC, and there is even a field for timezone, so it shouldn't require any hacks (hopefully, the API has a good number of peculiarities).

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
an option to have multiple alarms for the same evnt
The backend does not support multiple alarms for one event, so implementing this might require a substantial amount of effort and possibly cause problems with backward compatibility. I don't think I will be attempting this in the near future.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
Qalendar 0.9 is out. With support for birthday calendar and configurable first day of week, I think it can finally be considered a full replacement for the stock calendar.
When I try to launch the latest thumb version frim the stock calendar icon or from a widget it starts up and closes in less than a second. Using the Qalendar icon, it stays running, If I remove --background from the dbus call file, it works as expected but this reintroduces the unable to load ics file issue discussed upthread. With the --backgound switch reintroduced, tapping an ics file in the file manager opens the select calendar dialogue, but this too shuts before you can do anything with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
When I try to launch the latest thumb version frim the stock calendar icon or from a widget it starts up and closes in less than a second. Using the Qalendar icon, it stays running, If I remove --background from the dbus call file, it works as expected but this reintroduces the unable to load ics file issue discussed upthread. With the --backgound switch reintroduced, tapping an ics file in the file manager opens the select calendar dialogue, but this too shuts before you can do anything with it.
I guess you still need to "killall qalendar" after upgrading, if you use the --background method.
TBH I have gotten into the habit of rebooting if I update Qalendar.
No issues to report here on non-thumb BTW

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
calendar, fremantle