Notices

This looks like one of the most useful applications for the N900.
Thanks for your work lorelei!
What happens with birthdays from contacts? They are displayed in the Maemo Calendar but I don't know if they could be synced because they are based on the contacts entry. Also MfE has a problem with them and they are always +- 2 days different after a sync
Do you have any plans to support Google Contacts sync as well? Together with Google Mail IMAP MfE wouldn't be needed to have everything in sync with Google

Sorry for the off-topic, Lorelei - I'm just curious when feydrutha is adding work by having three separate accounts...

Originally Posted by feydrutha View Post
I have 3 different google accounts that I use to share stuff with people.
Isn't that 'doing it wrong'? I might be missing something.

Why have three separate accounts on Google with shared passwords, when you could just have one account each (and associated email address etc) and just create three shared calendars that you can all still access in the same way?

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post

Why have three separate accounts on Google with shared passwords, when you could just have one account each (and associated email address etc) and just create three shared calendars that you can all still access in the same way?
I agree that the way you describe of managing shared calendars is the most natural one, and probably the designed way of doing it. The only plausible use case I can see is that if the accounts are also used to manage a mail inbox attached to these calendars.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Sorry for the off-topic, Lorelei - I'm just curious when feydrutha is adding work by having three separate accounts...

I have 2 accounts on google, one personal and one work one (from google apps). The personal one has my personal calendars, the work one, my work calendars (that were added by work, not me).

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Upcoming version of Erminig-NG will contain the fixes shown above, plus a big change: instead of accessing directly the calendar database, I will use the published calendar API, shis is the correct way of interacting with the Calendar DB.

SInce there's no python binding to access CCalendar DB, I will write a C++ wrapper library that will be used by Erminig-NG to access easily the Calendaring API. This should be rather straightforward (famous last words), and I hope to get that new version out by this Sunday.
I have a one way sync c++ app using the ccalendar c++ api and libgdata that I started before becoming ill in December. It is at http://github.com/zaheerm/mgcalsync if you want ideas on using the API.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
What happens with birthdays from contacts? They are displayed in the Maemo Calendar but I don't know if they could be synced because they are based on the contacts entry.
Yes, they are stored in a separate database, but I think that it should be relatively easy to add support for birthdays events. I have to check with the Contacts API to see if I can get those information easily. If it's possible, then I will add this capability.

Do you have any plans to support Google Contacts sync as well? Together with Google Mail IMAP MfE wouldn't be needed to have everything in sync with Google
There's no plan for the moment, but it can be added. In fact I already have initial support for contact sync between Google Contacts and GPE contacts, but I never released the code. I could recycle that code for contacts sync, but for the moment I will focus on calendar functions. Once it is stable enough, I may consider adding contacts support.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
I have a one way sync c++ app using the ccalendar c++ api and libgdata that I started before becoming ill in December.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind if I get stuck with the code. But the ccalendar API seems to be rather straightforward...

Well... maybe it is doing it wrong. I guess I could switch to 'doing it right' with a single account and still have read-write access to the shared calendars. Maybe I'll try this later. Anyhow I don't seem to be the only one doing things this way (like zaheerm mentioned, with his work and personal calendars).

In general people sometimes have multiple accounts of services for a variety of reasons (like 2 skype accounts for instance) and applications should try to support that, like I think the contacts/conversations app does nicely on the n900. Of course, even without this feature this is still a useful application ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to feydrutha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ São Paulo - Brasil
I am sorry about the kinda off topic here, but where can I find MfE so I can give it a try?

Originally Posted by rmarcus View Post
I am sorry about the kinda off topic here, but where can I find MfE so I can give it a try?
A few instruction here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Sync#Synchronising_with_Google

There was also a post (several of them in fact) on the forum with some more information...

Tags
erminig, erminig-ng, ernie nig, google calendar, google sync, synchronization