Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Anyone had any success with updating a community port device to 2.1 yet? I'm considering just going for it on my Nexus 5. I didn't wait for confirmed successes to try 2.0.5.6, but I have a feeling this is a little bit more than an incremental update.
I have Nexus 5 and Nexus 4. I tried it first on my Nexus 4 it did not booted after update. I thought fresh install would work. Installed 2.0.5.6 and directly updated, but still did not booted. So no, there is no way i'm trying it on my Nexus 5 too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, Sailfish OS does use a lot of components that were originally developed or selected at MeeGo, like Ofono, Maliit, MIC, RPM, systemd, Qt based UI.

Harmattan wasn't really that much MeeGo based - it had some components from it but IMHO it was closer to a final generation of Maemo - for example it still used deb packages and upstart.

And for sure there was a substantial amount of system components and default applications that were and remained proprietary.
Yes, I'm aware of all of this. The point was that the missing features were mostly in the UI components and that couldn't be simply taken from Harmattan as its UI was not open.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I've upgraded my OPX, everything went well and it didn't boot to UI. I had SSH enabled on it, so I simply downgraded to 2.0.5.6 again.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
This release ended up on osnews as well, at least we are remembered
http://www.osnews.com/story/29658/Sa...2_1_0_released

This update, 2.1.0 alias Iijoki brings major architectural changes to Sailfish OS by introducing Qt 5.6 UI framework, Bluez5 Bluetooth protocol (ready to be deployed for development purposes), basics for the 64-bit architecture and text selection in browser. Included is also a beta level implementation for Virtual Private Networks (VPN) (please read release notes) and the first version of QML live coding support. In addition, 2.1.0 adds bigger fonts to the UI, improves the use of camera and fixes a number of errors, many of which were reported by our developer community.

Maybe I'll get around to updating my Jolla phone and tablet at some point, but I really don't see a reason why. Since I reviewed Sailfish OS and the Jolla phone more than three years ago, nothing has been done to address the elephant in the room. The operating system itself was quite stable, good-looking and full-featured from the beginning, and that has only improved with the constant stream of updates and refinements. However, the application situation is still incredibly dire, and we're all still using the same few applications - updated only very infrequently - that we were using three years ago. Several have even died out.

Instead of investing in attracting developers to write Sailfish applications (the three year old promises of support for paid applications still hasn't been fulfilled, for instance), the company got distracted with crazy projects like the tablet, and investing heavily in making Android applications 'run' on Sailfish. While Android applications do 'run', it's still a slow, frustrating, and utterly jarring experience that's a complete and utter waste of resources. Had they spent even half the effort spent on Android application compatibility on attracting native developers, the platform would be in a far better state.

Jolla proclaimed they wanted to take over the world, but in doing so, lost touch with the very people they should've continued to focus on: open source/Linux-oriented enthusiasts, former Maemo/N900 users. Not a large group of people, of course, but definitely a big enough - and, more importantly, loyal enough! - group of people to sustain a small, community-focused company.

Whatever.

Jolla's CEO Sami Pienimäki penned a letter to the community about upcoming developments for the company. There's some stuff in there about Russia and tablet refunds.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Anyone had any success with updating a community port device to 2.1 yet?
It works on FP2 now with the right repo enabled.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
...*snip*
Maybe I'll get around to updating my Jolla phone and tablet at some point,... *snip*
In other words, we have a wasted Jtab here
Wines about how the ecosystem does not advance and sits on a Jtab he not even uses to educate others or at least spread a positive view.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
it's still a slow, frustrating, and utterly jarring experience that's a complete and utter waste of resources.
SLOW? I could agree with jarring/frustrating because Android applications work so differently (by which I mean worse) to Sailfish applications, but slow? If people on TJC are to be believed, Android web browsers on Sailfish are even faster than the native browsers. In any case I've never had any issues with Android applications running any less fast than what I would expect.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
SLOW?
I guess he is not comparing on same spec level...
Like, "A nexus5 is also 3 years old but runs android apps much faster" kind of comparison.
But i doubt even that and think he is completly unfair in comparing to the recent android warhorse in his pocket without differentiating and mention in the text.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Instead of investing in attracting developers to write Sailfish applications (the three year old promises of support for paid applications still hasn't been fulfilled, for instance), the company got distracted with crazy projects like the tablet, and investing heavily in making Android applications 'run' on Sailfish. While Android applications do 'run', it's still a slow, frustrating, and utterly jarring experience that's a complete and utter waste of resources. Had they spent even half the effort spent on Android application compatibility on attracting native developers, the platform would be in a far better state.
LOL did you even try android support on SFOS before writing this?

This is all false!!! I have working aliendalvik with gapps package (i made rpm for it actually) on my Nexus 4. It's not even official phone it's ported and android apps run faster then they ran when i had 7.1.1 nougat on this same phone! even on my nexus 5 android apps run faster on SFOS with dalvik then on android. That's because SFOS itself is much lighter and faster then android. also maybe that aliendalvik uses faik services and somethings just to run android apps so they are not really doing anything.

Also my nexus 5 with SFOS with aliendalvik enabled at boot boots to the homescreen 6 seconds faster then it does on nougat 7.1.1. shutfown speeds are faster compare to android as well.
Although i can't tell this about nexus 4. It takes aaaaages before it shuts down on SFOS. But Nexus 4 is waaay better supported for SFOS then Nexus 5. It almost feels like Nexus 4 is official phone. I can't tell it about Nexus 5 though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@mosen, @nthn, @matemana;

Note that it is NOT @salyavin who is bashing SFOS here.
He's just quoting from the osnews article he linked to...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sfos upgrade