1. Want to record audio during class lectures - for about 90 minutes. Can the N800 do that?

2. Can the N800 be set up in peer-to-peer for direct file sharing and game playing?

Thanks, Rich

1. Maemo recorder does the job. You'll get 8khz 16bit mono sound. I've ran it well over an hour recording radio programs. Mic sensitivity is very good.

2. You can send files via bluetooth. It's slow, but it's probably the easiest way. It took maybe a minute to transfer a 3 mb song in my test. If you're a hacker, you could create a much faster system with samba, upnp, or another popular network protocol.
Also you could share files by swapping sd cards. My n800 took about 5 minutes to copy 900mb of pictures from card to card.
2b. I don't know of any ad-hoc wireless games.

Might be worth looking into the Zeroconf/Bonjour system to establish impromptu networks. Will these other people also be using Linux boxes, or a mix of things.

I wonder if installing a dhcp server would work and allow them to connect to you. Any ideas?

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by sdrman View Post
1. Maemo recorder does the job. You'll get 8khz 16bit mono sound. I've ran it well over an hour recording radio programs. Mic sensitivity is very good.
How did you manage recording RADIO programs?? FM or internet radio? I did not found settings to record from sources other than the built-in mic.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Originally Posted by Rich3x View Post
2. Can the N800 be set up in peer-to-peer for direct file sharing and game playing?
2a: File sharing as in SoulSeek - Nicotine
2b: FreeCiv for Maemo

I have not personally used either yet.

Originally Posted by gammer View Post
How did you manage recording RADIO programs?? FM or internet radio? I did not found settings to record from sources other than the built-in mic.
I just set my 770/n800 in front of a radio.

Note: The n800 can record from FM radio. There's just no mixer program installed that will make that switch. I compiled aumix in my scratchbox and it did the job. I don't normally do this because I record programs from AM radio.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
I just set my 770/n800 in front of a radio.
Hm, if you have this other radio around, then a little adapter from headset out to mic in could give better quality. You still need the external radio to check what's going on... And then you could sing along while recording

Note: The n800 can record from FM radio. There's just no mixer program installed that will make that switch. I compiled aumix in my scratchbox and it did the job. I don't normally do this because I record programs from AM radio.
Any chance you could attach or send that aumix binary my way?
Does the mixer offer Bass/Treble controls?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to dblank For This Useful Post: