Originally Posted by ysss View Post
We'll just wait and see how the 'mass' receive this limitation, shall we
I think this thread has served its purpose as an early indicator.
A I agree, let's see!!

An intention and a target-group for this unit is one thing, selling the unit (making people NOT buying other units instead) is a completely different thing..

Iphone most likely instead, I have 6-700 bucks here willing to spend now, was willing to wait for the N900, but I am part of the 'mass', and no portrait mode, no N900 for me!

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Guys. This is such a non-issue. If this 'OMG I'll have to flip to landscape to type an SMS' is the N900's biggest ergonomy problem, I'm very very happy.
Non-issue for you, maybe..

For me, a decisive issue..

If both modes were supported, both you and me would be happy, and more units would be sold and more money to maemo and Nokia..

The Following User Says Thank You to messus For This Useful Post:
messus, you could replace all the apps that you'll use and need to be in portrait mode with 3rd party apps that'll have that functionality.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@messus: shush, you've just pressed the 'joint of disconnection' where Nokia and Maemo's FOSS community's interest aren't 100% aligned.

A good portion of the community here doesn't care about how many N900s units Nokia can sell because hey have no direct gain from it.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
It's a known issue and a tradeoff. We're not trying to dismiss that there wouldn't be use for it.

If we would have decided to do every potentially useful feature known to man before launching the device, N900 only still only be a twinkle in the eye of the various people working with it. And you would have (rightfully) had even more reason to complain what is taking you guys so long.

It is not free. It would have taken a lot of time. We're on step 4. I hope that statement reads friendly and clear.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
@messus: shush, you've just pressed the 'joint of disconnection' where Nokia and Maemo's FOSS community's interest aren't 100% aligned.

A good portion of the community here doesn't care about how many N900s units Nokia can sell because hey have no direct gain from it.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Try again, sir.

I think you should try the phone out in landscape mode before flipping out because most apps don't run in portrait mode. You might find that it works a lot better than expected and you won't ever miss portrait mode ever again.

Like me.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
...you can't use the landscape keyboard with one hand while your other hand is busy holding a beer.
I don't imbibe, so I can't fully test this use case, but I can hold my N810 in my left hand and type. I've done so on occasion, though typing with one thumb is slower than typing with two, so it's not my first choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Try again, sir.

I think you should try the phone out in landscape mode before flipping out because most apps don't run in portrait mode. You might find that it works a lot better than expected and you won't ever miss portrait mode ever again.

Like me.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=60

bottom portion.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=60

bottom portion.
That line wasn't meant for you in particular.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
That line wasn't meant for you in particular.
I'd appreciate it if you don't quote me directly before you write a line that isn't for me then

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case