Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
If you haven't already seen this:

ARM Delivers The Internet Everywhere With Most Power-Efficient and Cost-Effective Multicore Processor
http://www.arm.com/news/26196.html

ARM announces the first mobile multicore processor - Cortex-A5
http://www.gsmarena.com/arm_announce...-news-1200.php

Could we see devices with these from Nokia in 2010? Which one would be the first to sport these? I mean, the mobile computers or notebooks?

What do you think?

EDIT: Changing the title!

Last edited by vkv.raju; 2011-02-08 at 11:37. Reason: changed the subject relevant to the discussion!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Probably not, but why would you? From reading Ars Techina it seems they are a step lower than the current Cortex A8. Their benefit is being more power efficient, not faster or even more efficient.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Probably not, but why would you? From reading Ars Techina it seems they are a step lower than the current Cortex A8. Their benefit is being more power efficient, not faster or even more efficient.
You are right. I just got confused.
Speed really kills!!

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
multi-core makes multi-tasking better

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
technically A9 was the first ARM multi-core design (in that it could be used as a single core, or up to 4 cores, depending on what the licensee wanted)...

A5 can basically be seen as ARM's celeron/duron variant, and we will probably see a lot of it in cheap consumer devices in the next years.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Personally I like TI's OMAP4440 dual core ARM Cortex-A9's clocked at over 1ghz. You want fast for netbooks and phones? This is the next one. Who wants to start a rumor of Nokia using this in the next wave of Maemo devices? :P

And as for the question netbooks or phones.. Honestly I think this will spawn a new idea.. Phones that plug into bases and become linux powered nettops. With a typical KDE or Gnome interface made for a mouse and keyboard.

Imagine sticking your work laptop in your pocket and when you get on the metro emailing the report you just finished before leaving work over the 4G internets, and then replying to everyone's responses to the report on a full monitor and keyboard once you got home. I think that would be AWESOME

Then again the OMAP4440 is also more then capable of 1080p decoding/encoding, you could just use it for recording/editing/playing a lot of movies :P

And the PowerVR 540 chip it uses is also really powerful for ARM based gaming, perhaps it'll work for something a little closer to crysis... Then again that is *really* getting ahead of myself... Nice dream though..

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Could we see devices with these from Nokia in 2010? Which one would be the first to sport these? I mean, the mobile computers or notebooks?
According to the Ars Technica article Laughing Man is probably referring to, these Cortex A5 chips won't be out until 2011, i.e. they're 1½-2. years away.

If I understand this correctly they are sort of poor man's A8 which can run the visual fluff most system development is heading towards, but only barely. Something like Mer (poor man's Maemo 5, maybe even Maemo 6) might work well on these A5's, if only Mer was more actively developed and pushed to/adopted by ODMs other than Nokia (who've already moved on...).

Too bad NVIDIA (with their Tegra, and generally with their proprietary approach) is too deep in microsoft's pocket to promote the open platforms the low-cost and low-power ARM CPUs like the Cortex A5 would be ideal for: better (in terms of size, cost and power requirements) than N8x0 class companion devices.

Off topic perhaps, but I find it unfortunate that Nokia stopped pursuing the (mobile phone) companion device strategy, which would have played into their strengths (inexpensive entry to market -> creation of bigger Maemo ecosystem, handsets & batteries etc.). Nokia's Maemo 5+ may be cool, but Android is being pushed by a growing number of manufacturers.

Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Personally I like TI's OMAP4440 dual core ARM Cortex-A9's clocked at over 1ghz. You want fast for netbooks and phones? This is the next one. Who wants to start a rumor of Nokia using this in the next wave of Maemo devices? :P

And as for the question netbooks or phones.. Honestly I think this will spawn a new idea.. Phones that plug into bases and become linux powered nettops. With a typical KDE or Gnome interface made for a mouse and keyboard.

Imagine sticking your work laptop in your pocket and when you get on the metro emailing the report you just finished before leaving work over the 4G internets, and then replying to everyone's responses to the report on a full monitor and keyboard once you got home. I think that would be AWESOME

Then again the OMAP4440 is also more then capable of 1080p decoding/encoding, you could just use it for recording/editing/playing a lot of movies :P

And the PowerVR 540 chip it uses is also really powerful for ARM based gaming, perhaps it'll work for something a little closer to crysis... Then again that is *really* getting ahead of myself... Nice dream though..
been playing with such a concept in my head for years now, mostly wondering if a mobile friendly interface can scale upwards (and android and maemo in current incarnation would seems to indicate so, if one can replace some gestures with hotkeys).

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
According to the Ars Technica article Laughing Man is probably referring to, these Cortex A5 chips won't be out until 2011, i.e. they're 1½-2. years away.

If I understand this correctly they are sort of poor man's A8 which can run the visual fluff most system development is heading towards, but only barely. Something like Mer (poor man's Maemo 5, maybe even Maemo 6) might work well on these A5's, if only Mer was more actively developed and pushed to/adopted by ODMs other than Nokia (who've already moved on...).

Too bad NVIDIA (with their Tegra, and generally with their proprietary approach) is too deep in microsoft's pocket to promote the open platforms the low-cost and low-power ARM CPUs like the Cortex A5 would be ideal for: better (in terms of size, cost and power requirements) than N8x0 class companion devices.

Off topic perhaps, but I find it unfortunate that Nokia stopped pursuing the (mobile phone) companion device strategy, which would have played into their strengths (inexpensive entry to market -> creation of bigger Maemo ecosystem, handsets & batteries etc.). Nokia's Maemo 5+ may be cool, but Android is being pushed by a growing number of manufacturers.
i suspect nokia listened to the number of people that wanted a single device to carry, rather then 2+ (even if the right setup of protocols, radios and wires could allow one to carry multiple devices with one set of headphones and data connection).

i guess our basic problem right now is that our fashion have not kept up with our technology. As long as it seen as unfashionable for a guy to carry a bag, and we do not have clothes of the rack that makes it easy to carry multiple devices without looking like one is going to war/wilderness, convergence will stay king (and i suspect the marketing deps loves it also, as extra hardware features are a easier upsell then software features).

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i suspect nokia listened to the number of people that wanted a single device to carry, rather then 2+ (even if the right setup of protocols, radios and wires could allow one to carry multiple devices with one set of headphones and data connection).

i guess our basic problem right now is that our fashion have not kept up with our technology. As long as it seen as unfashionable for a guy to carry a bag, and we do not have clothes of the rack that makes it easy to carry multiple devices without looking like one is going to war/wilderness, convergence will stay king (and i suspect the marketing deps loves it also, as extra hardware features are a easier upsell then software features).
Well I didn't/wouldn't advocate abandoning the N9xx "convergence" efforts, but instead creating synergistic (uh), affordable and ideally multi-user add-on (companion device) to the mainstream Nokia phones to attract people to choose the Maemo platform instead of dumping Nokia phones in droves and moving totally to Apple's closed garden.

Any option that takes wind from iApple's' sails and breathes life into Maemo should be considered, and seriously.

Cortex A5-based WIFI/BT/USB (with GPRS/3G+ options) connected tablet-devices could be great especially in developing countries (the majority of world's population and where Nokia still remains top dog for now) with localized and slimmed down Mer/Maemo.

Being multi-user the device could be used by families (from living rooms to car trips...) or other small communities which desire internet connectivity but don't yet have US$500 to blow on a single single-user phone-tablet but would buy a sub-$200 tablet as companion to their sub-$100 phones. My wife likes to carry her slim and light Nokia phone everywhere, but occasionally she wanted to bring the (now-defunct) tablet along. A slimmer and slightly more powerful tablet with longer battery life would be perfect for her, and me too. Esp. if the Maemo/Mer apps keep maturing and the proprietary ones get an occasional update every year or three.

Back in the early days of Mac OS, M$ didn't take over the PC market because their bean counters were telling them to target the high-end only due to higher margins...

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:

Tags
arm, cortex, cortex-a5, multi-core, multicore, yeah so?