Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by asadkhan1988 View Post
i think this subject is appropriate here jalyst.
it is not a lumia vs n9 thread, it is more like a lumia impressions thread from n9 owners, which i think provides more info than a standard 'vs' thread
Which makes it perfect for the competitors sub-forum...
And it hasn't actually been like that all the way through, far form it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Sitting here with a lumia 800 and a n9. Its two really bad phones. But at least n9 is fun to use, so l800 vs n9 0-1

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Sitting here with a lumia 800 and a n9. Its two really bad phones. But at least n9 is fun to use, so l800 vs n9 0-1
Send it from nitdroid. N900 rule.

I quite like my lumia, however i does make me feel restricted.
for example it shouldn't take 11 swipes just to turn off the brightness,

there's not 'hub'/block for quick settings either, you have to always go to settings, scroll, click, click choice, click again, click back. Depending on the W8 release date you might want to wait until then.

As a phone, the reception hasn't let me down yet, browser is good, and messaging works very well.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Netherlands
It's more like WP7 vs Meego.
Cos WP7 phones are much alike. Offcourse every WP7 phone has positives vs negatives individually, but all phones are much alike because of minimum specs.

Personally I like WP7 (and Lumia) a lot!
My personal WP7 pro's:
- It's a blazingfast OS
- I like the social network integration.
- I like the Live Tiles, makes the screen less cluttered compared to icons, and I like the alphabetical app search.
- I personally like the restrictive feel of the OS compared to iOS and Android.
- Did I mention it's blazingfast?

I still haven't decided if I want to go back to WP7 from my N9.
Meego hasn't pulled me far beyond the WP7 border yet.
Perhaps pr1.2 will make that change.

My GF has the Lumia 800 and I got used to the N9 interface which I have come to love over WP7.
Can't wait for the folders addition in pr1.2 to make my screen less cluttered, and hope the general response speed has improved.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It's true that WP is good for basic stuff. But then, why should one spend that much money at a Windows phone when feature phones are good for basic stuff, too?

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by qorax View Post
Micro$oft wants your ideas to promote Windows Phone

Got marketing skills?

What do you make of a device, or a platform, that is acceptable as a good system to challenge the 'dominating other two' - but is lagging way behind in terms of sales?

Windows Phone 7 [or 7.5 if u may] is in that lingering, uneasy position, and it seems to have Microsoft stumped.

That’s probably why the team behind Windows Phone 7 is ASKING its fan-base to help promote the OS. The joke here is that they have laid off their marketing team, but that’s clearly not the case (we hope), they just want your “ad concepts, contest ideas, social media campaigns, and whatever other wacky but worthwhile ideas you can up with.”

If you have any ideas, you can post them HERE. There is a 25 word limit, with a disclaimer from Microsoft’s lawyers, which says: “Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.”

Smoked by Windows Phone [challenge]- they said - LOL!
MS should dump WP, buy symbian and continue its development

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It doesn't matter what they come up with. You simply can't turn **** to gold...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ London, UK
i got both the lumia and the n9 and bought the n9 after i bought the lumia simply because i completely forgot about nokia the past year or so and mainly used iphone/samsung. Anyway things i can tell you from my pretty big experience of using both phones is that simply put the Lumia is faster and the N9 is 'cooler' i'll explain what that means in a bit. Firstly when i say that the lumia is faster, it really is. Not just the first day you buy it and getting slower as you use it but absolutely blazing fast all around. On Lumia you dont have to wait this annoying extra half a second after you pressed on "battery" in settings to find out how much you got left. And if you like reading feeds then prepare to wait about two minutes for your feeds to sync if you choose the N9 or 15 seconds on the lumia. Lumia aslo has way more apps. Some of them are pretty good as well and the games are getting really nice look at NFS hot pursuit for example. Its aslo ridiculously simple and easy to use.

Now heres to why the n9 is better, on the n9 you can do pretty much anything you want. Change any colour of any font of any icon. Max ringer volume too low for you? (which it is on both phones) well guess what? On the n9 it will take you one minute to raise it via the terminal or a mod. And this ability to tweak the system is that amazing thing that lets you solve almost any problem you might find with it. i.e battery life etc. On the Lumia i am clueless how to solve the battery problem because i dont even know what the cause is.. the n9 tells you what the cause through looking at the top processes.
Now lumia can also be developer unlocked but now that chevron labs is unavailable the only way to do it is to become an official apps developer and pay a big $ while doing so. To "unlock" the n9 you have to toggle a switch in the settings. Also theres a huge update coming to the n9 as you've probably already heard which aparently makes the ui snappier as well which is good, along with tons of new features. Lumia has had two or three updates so far and has 0 new features.
Sometimes i do get annoyed by how slow the n9 ui is because im so spoiled by the lumia however on the lumia im sometimes bored because the os is so restricting..
i think since you are on this forum you probably know a thing or two about rooting/developing and for people like that the n9 is the choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to slansr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
What do you expect...:
PyGlet - OpenGL, etc in Python
Good luck with Android, better with iPhone - look forward to see SymPy on Maemo/N900!