Active Topics

Notices

I'm sure this has been raised before, but my search on this site (or any other for that matter) regarding making N900 running Fremantle to switch to portrait mode brought no sensible results.

I already have CSSU installed and most apps do react to the change of orientation of the device, but the desktop still does not, nor do some remaining native applications.

Instructions on installing the arceans modified hildon desktop contain a broken link and no newer version was found, so that was a path I never took. Has anyone? Is it safe? Bug-free?

I would like to request that anyone having struck success with getting this device to switch to portrait mode automatically when turned upright, please post a step-by-step instruction for this procedure with URLs where necessary.

Thank you so much for your help to the beginner users.
Alex.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
There should be an orientation lock applet in the status menu if you have CSSU installed.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by parahumanoid View Post
I'm sure this has been raised before, but my search on this site (or any other for that matter) regarding making N900 running Fremantle to switch to portrait mode brought no sensible results.

I already have CSSU installed and most apps do react to the change of orientation of the device, but the desktop still does not, nor do some remaining native applications.

Instructions on installing the arceans modified hildon desktop contain a broken link and no newer version was found, so that was a path I never took. Has anyone? Is it safe? Bug-free?

I would like to request that anyone having struck success with getting this device to switch to portrait mode automatically when turned upright, please post a step-by-step instruction for this procedure with URLs where necessary.

Thank you so much for your help to the beginner users.
Alex.
Which CSSU (stable or testing) and what version?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
as @Zas said you should have that applet, if you dont you can install it by this commands :
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install status-area-orientationlock-applet
after the installation is successful you can notice a new applet in your status area

/sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
CSSU testing has desktop rotation enabled, the stable one does not

Originally Posted by damnshock View Post
CSSU testing has desktop rotation enabled, the stable one does not
I don't know if you mean "CSSU testing has desktop rotation enabled BY DEFAULT" or not, because I use CSSU stable and yes I do have desktop rotation

You might need to enable rotation in the CSSU configuration first because it might not be enabled by default

I've just intalled the CSSU, installed the applet but, the portrait mode appear enabled, but still no portrait mode. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by figaro View Post
I don't know if you mean "CSSU testing has desktop rotation enabled BY DEFAULT" or not, because I use CSSU stable and yes I do have desktop rotation

You might need to enable rotation in the CSSU configuration first because it might not be enabled by default
Can you please tell what setting exactly governs this behavior. Step by step, please. Assume I'm stupid, which I certainly feel like.

You just have to follow the info on
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/FeaturesStable

In your case I guess you want this
Enable rotation of Task Switcher, Launcher and desktop (remember to rearrange your widgets and shortcuts in portrait, hildon-desktop saves that layout seperately)

$ gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/ui_can_rotate -t bool true

The Following User Says Thank You to [Knuckles] For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by parahumanoid View Post
Can you please tell what setting exactly governs this behavior. Step by step, please. Assume I'm stupid, which I certainly feel like.
Um yeah, apparently no need for CSSU Features Configuration

Just type the command in Knuckles' post in the terminal and done (you might need to reboot)