Hello guys! I'm new and I wanted to ask for help about my Nokia N9. A few days I started my Flashing the Nokia N9 because I wanted to put the new operating system Sailfish. I met some problems with the installation, but it was resolved. I turned on my Nokia, Sailfish clicked on the icon and start to make me do the getting started guide before ignition, until he asked me to accept "the terms of use and condition" and I agreed. When I clicked "i agree" the phone pictured Jolla screen and turn off the telephone. Without finishing the whole tour of the Getting Started guide. Now when I turn it on the screen there are two logos: 1) MeeGo 2) Sailfish. Now when I press on the logo "Sailfish" the phone does not show anything on the screen. It remains all black for a while and turns off (or seems to have disappeared). Unfortunately I am not very experienced in the field. I hope you can help me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Ricky94 View Post
Hello guys! I'm new and I wanted to ask for help about my Nokia N9. A few days I started my Flashing the Nokia N9 because I wanted to put the new operating system Sailfish. I met some problems with the installation, but it was resolved. I turned on my Nokia, Sailfish clicked on the icon and start to make me do the getting started guide before ignition, until he asked me to accept "the terms of use and condition" and I agreed. When I clicked "i agree" the phone pictured Jolla screen and turn off the telephone. Without finishing the whole tour of the Getting Started guide. Now when I turn it on the screen there are two logos: 1) MeeGo 2) Sailfish. Now when I press on the logo "Sailfish" the phone does not show anything on the screen. It remains all black for a while and turns off (or seems to have disappeared). Unfortunately I am not very experienced in the field. I hope you can help me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
It's possible that the device is running SFOS correctly but for some reason the UI is not displayed.

- What version / configuration of ubiboot are you using?
- What version of SFOS are you using (the rootfs tarfile version)?
- The first boot, when it booted to the introductory guide, did you see the screen normally and did it respond to gestures normally?

You could do the following;

1.) when you launch SFOS from ubiboot menu, connect the USB to computer after that. Sometimes that action is enough to trigger the screen come into life.

2.) if you have a linux computer, check what dmesg says when you connect the USB cable. If an IP interface is created, try ssh'ing to the device.

Hi Juiceme,
I helped watching a guide on Maemo, Call Sailfish and watching a video where he explained step by step installation: https: //www.youtube.com/watch? BRncXK6dmMc v =

however
- I'm using 0.3.5 Ubiboot pre-configured (as written in the guide)
- Exactly do not remember, I have no way of looking at the moment, but the latest version.
- Yes, the screen was displayed correctly. I did "accept" to go to the subsequent screens ... I have not tried the Swipe. The only screen that was not displayed correctly it was the screen: "the terms of use and condition" which was large and not centered.

I tried to connect Nokia phone to the computer (Ubuntu 14.04). The device enters the maintenance screen Ubiboot and as soon as the PC detects it, starts to open 4 folders (Alt_os; Rotfs; Nokia n9 and a folder of just numbers).
Point 2 I have not figured out how to do .. could you explain better?
Thank you very much for the help! Thank you.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It's possible that the device is running SFOS correctly but for some reason the UI is not displayed.

- What version / configuration of ubiboot are you using?
- What version of SFOS are you using (the rootfs tarfile version)?
- The first boot, when it booted to the introductory guide, did you see the screen normally and did it respond to gestures normally?

You could do the following;

1.) when you launch SFOS from ubiboot menu, connect the USB to computer after that. Sometimes that action is enough to trigger the screen come into life.

2.) if you have a linux computer, check what dmesg says when you connect the USB cable. If an IP interface is created, try ssh'ing to the device.
Hi Juiceme,
I helped watching a guide on Maemo, Call Sailfish and watching a video where he explained step by step installation: https: //www.youtube.com/watch? BRncXK6dmMc v =

however
- Exactly do not remember, I have no way of looking at the moment, but the latest version.
- Yes, the screen was displayed correctly. I did "accept" to go to the subsequent screens ... I have not tried the Swipe. The only screen that was not displayed correctly it was the screen: "the terms of use and condition" which was large and not centered.

I tried to connect Nokia phone to the computer (Ubuntu 4.14). The device enters the maintenance screen Ubiboot and as soon as the PC detects it, starts to open 4 folders (Alt_os; Rotfs; Nokia n9 and a folder of just numbers).

Hi Juiceme,
I helped watching a guide on Maemo, Call Sailfish and watching a video where he explained step by step installation: /watch?v=bRncXK6dmMc

However

I tried to connect Nokia phone to the computer (Ubuntu 14.04). The device enters the maintenance screen Ubiboot and as soon as the PC detects it, starts to open 4 folders (Alt_os; Rotfs; Nokia n9 and a folder of just numbers).

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
OK, that's good then.

Well, I have not seen this behaviour before, which leads me to believe that most probably the device in fact runs as it should, and only the UI is not visible.
Also, the device might do some configuring after the first boot which can take time. How long did you wait before forcibly turning the device off?

What leads me to believe that connecting USB cable might help; It used to be that Nemo/N9 sometimes behaved like that on first boot, and then connecting the USB cable in this state somehow "triggers" the device UI to come into life. (and I assume same is possible for SFOS...)

How to do it; You need to boot the device to SFOS before connecting USB cable, so the device does not enter maintanance mode. Connect the USB only after you have selected Sailfish boot.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
OK, that's good then.

Well, I have not seen this behaviour before, which leads me to believe that most probably the device in fact runs as it should, and only the UI is not visible.
Also, the device might do some configuring after the first boot which can take time. How long did you wait before forcibly turning the device off?

What leads me to believe that connecting USB cable might help; It used to be that Nemo/N9 sometimes behaved like that on first boot, and then connecting the USB cable in this state somehow "triggers" the device UI to come into life. (and I assume same is possible for SFOS...)

How to do it; You need to boot the device to SFOS before connecting USB cable, so the device does not enter maintanance mode. Connect the USB only after you have selected Sailfish boot.
Hi! I tried as you said, I turned on the phone, I pressed the icon "Sailfish" and at the same time I connected the USB cable. Unfortunately, it is still the same joke. The screen stays black and then after a few seconds, your phone will reboot. The screen has not triggered as you said. For if there are other solutions?
Because I wanted to reinstall Sailfish. Eliminating only Sailfish OS and not the whole procedure I had done. Could it be possible? Or updating your system .. I do not know, my ideas are just presumptions! Thanks again for your support!

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
install sailfish 1.0.2.5. not the latest one.

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
install sailfish 1.0.2.5. not the latest one.
Hi Coderus!
I installed Sailfish 1.0.2.5 vgrade r5.1 following the guidance on maemo. I've probably done something wrong, but I do not know what. Thank you in advance

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
remove /sailfish and unpack it again.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: