Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
MStarDict is a simple dictionary based on code of the latest StarDict written in C++ using Gtk2.

Current version is supporting:
- Stardict dictionaries
- external stardict parser plugins (mstardict package include HTML, PowerWord, Wiki, XDXF plugins by default)
- simple Text-To-Speech using espeak library
- localization

If you want to test it, install it from extras-devel repository and copy your dictionaries to MyDocs/mstardict directory.
Attached Images

Last edited by rmoravcik; 2010-02-18 at 17:38.

The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to rmoravcik For This Useful Post:
This is really nice app, i hope you can add more language for this translation app.

Originally Posted by chealyte View Post
This is really nice app, i hope you can add more language for this translation app.
Do you mean translation dictionaries? Check this page:

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php

It should be supporting all of them. Just download needed dictionary and copy it to MyDocs/mstardict directory :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmoravcik For This Useful Post:
Interesting APP...

are you aware of the qstardict port that is also being worked on?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38984

Originally Posted by feydrutha View Post
Interesting APP...

are you aware of the qstardict port that is also being worked on?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38984
Yes, I'm. Last time when I tried it, I wasn't so happy with UI. I wanted something simple and easy to use and that was the reason of MStarDict. I also tried simplify UI of original StarDict but after few hours I decided to write UI from scratch and use core of stardict.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmoravcik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rmoravcik View Post

It should be supporting all of them. Just download needed dictionary and copy it to MyDocs/mstardict directory :-)
Oh, thank, yes there are a lot languages,

add- if you can have an option in the app to download need dictionary directly would be nice, some noob like me will not able to figure out where to download or move files around use X-terminal yet ..

Yes, I'm. Last time when I tried it, I wasn't so happy with UI. I wanted something simple and easy to use and that was the reason of MStarDict. I also tried simplify UI of original StarDict but after few hours I decided to write UI from scratch and use core of stardict.
Ok. Let us know in this thread when you promote a version to testing and I'll give it a test.

Nice, I'll try that! Please make sure to include advice on how to find additional dictionaries in the app description when it gets to Extras, and even better, in the app itself. Documentation of the community apps (as great as they are) is often lacking.. please don't be one of those!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post:
I installed it. Really nice. I like it much better than the cluttered Qstardict interface. very clean, less hectic. the definition displayed separately from the word list using the maemo navigation is much better also.
a BIG plus for me, no problems with MSCIM/Google-Pinyin input of Chinese characters like I have in QStarDict (I posted my problem in QStarDict thread a few days ago).

Only 2 small issues I noticed:
I have three dictionaries installed, Langdao CHN-ENG, Langdao ENG-CHN and Oxford Bilingual CHN<->ENG. It seems in the bilingual dictionary I can only look up English terms, if I type in Chinese words the defintions are always pulled from the Langdao CHN-ENG dictionary (I don't know if this was the same in QStarDict because I couldn't even input Chinese characters!). This may not be a problem with MStarDict, it could be the dictionary is not two-way, I don't know how to check.
Finally, a tiny tiny correction: there is an extra 'i' the word 'Preferences'.

Nice app. Thanks for your hard work rmoravcik

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fareastcoast For This Useful Post:

Which dict files should we DL for the N900, the tarball or the RPM? And do they need to be extracted?

And where should they be placed on the N900?

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2010-02-19 at 18:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:

Tags
dictionary, mstardict