Active Topics

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, España
I see no difference ultimately, how the software is made, you are both sharing your work with the wider community and that is fantastic!, you take your time, which is all we really have and you share what you created in that time - thank you, for your time!

I understand where Coderus is coming from and at the same time, I also understand where Schturman is coming from. We are not all the next `Bill Gates`, as some of us are busy with work, with family, with illness, with so many aspects of life - not everyone has the time to learn such complex things as programming - yeah, I know, make time!!, easier said than done. LIFE can get in the way of leisure and pleasure.

I say thank you to Coderus for all his apps and help, updating his apps.....
I also say thank you to Schturman for taking time to post his findings and answering my queries about his methods - either way, I have apps from Coderus and Schturman on my phone - you should both be happy with that - I like your works!

Let us not be divided by ego, but be united with the common ground that brings us all here in the first place - TECHNOLOGY/SAILFISH/N9/MEEGO/MAEMO/NOKIA.....you get what I'm saying.

Coderus, perhaps you'd consider sharing some of your programming prowess, by way of a video?, show us how-to script properly for Sailfish?, just a little simple app to get others started?, maybe you don't want to share your hard earned skills?, that I can also understand, but me, I like to share what I know!

Regards,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
I was thinking about sailfish developing twitch and youtube channel, but had no time to write program for it, as it shouldn't be improvisation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Hey guys, I'd like to hide an app icon when installing an app. Sounds odd, I know but it's what I'd like to do and preferably not as a patch, unless there isn't a way around.

Basically, I'd like to hide the launcher icon for an existing app as my own app is installing. Then of course, I'd like to be able to return the launcher icon for the existing app if my app is uninstalled (my app does not create an icon as it's a 'quickaction'). Can this be done in the spec file?, perhaps in a '%pre' section in the existing spec file - if so, how would it be written?

Any info appreciated

The Following User Says Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Markkyboy View Post
Hey guys, I'd like to hide an app icon when installing an app. Sounds odd, I know but it's what I'd like to do and preferably not as a patch, unless there isn't a way around.

Basically, I'd like to hide the launcher icon for an existing app as my own app is installing. Then of course, I'd like to be able to return the launcher icon for the existing app if my app is uninstalled (my app does not create an icon as it's a 'quickaction'). Can this be done in the spec file?, perhaps in a '%pre' section in the existing spec file - if so, how would it be written?

Any info appreciated
See this post

https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...64&postcount=7

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Nieldk

Right way to hidde an icon from launcher in SailfishOS is adding
Code:
NoDisplay=true
in .desktop file

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
hahahaha!, state the bleedin' obvious guys, ffs! @coderus and @nieldk

I'm well aware of NoDisplay=true/false, but that doesn't help me.
I'd like the process automated, so the 'other' icon is removed as I'm installing my app. IF the line NoDisplay= is to be added as the only way, then this means a patch?

The Following User Says Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
google sed

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Markkyboy View Post
I'd like the process automated, so the 'other' icon is removed as I'm installing my app.
Coderus is right, you can automate it in your pre/post-install scripts.

However my advice would be - DO NOT DO IT! It is a bad idea for an app A to fiddle with the settings of app B. You add unnecessary dependencies, not to mention forcing the user down your path rather than letting the user choose.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
As @Schturman's original guide (first post in this thread, from 2014-03-31) is well done, but contains a few, although significant flaws, I created and posted a condensed and rectified version, which includes some extrenal references for further reading.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone, on device