Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I've been interested in finding an app for my N900 that will do something similar to this program. Basically it means someone can communicate via SMS with you with a specified code before the message (br in the case of the program linked) and an automated response is generated from the phone via SMS.

Why would I want this? Well, as a teacher I've found it a useful way of pushing material to my students on a weekly basis. I teach English as a foreign language students and this is a way for me to send weekly vocabulary lists to them without having to remember to do it myself. When they want them, they just text me with the specified code and they get the list every week.

It would be great if something like this was possible (or even already available!) on the N900. I'm not particularly technically-minded, so don't know how to find out this information. Does anyone know if this kind of program is possible/available on the N900?

no such app exists yet but it's definetely doable. you just need to convince someone to make it (python is a very easy language and works fine on n900 so it doesn require an uber-coder either)

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
no such app exists yet but it's definetely doable. you just need to convince someone to make it (python is a very easy language and works fine on n900 so it doesn require an uber-coder either)
I suppose the trick now is to convince someone to do it er, anyone?

Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I suppose the trick now is to convince someone to do it er, anyone?
Rather than saying 'do it!' you get better result with 'i'll donate to the person taking up this challenge'

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Rather than saying 'do it!' you get better result with 'i'll donate to the person taking up this challenge'
I'll be quite happy to donate to anyone who's willing to create such a program

you could take something lake gammu smsd and rewrite AT commands to dbus or ofono calls.