I've been getting some very useful tips from the internet tablet school but thought I'd come here and ask if anyone knows of any Image Editing software for the N800.

I bought mine new yesterday and it seems a really superb bit of kit.
However one of the things I'd like to do is to transfer a few selected photos when I'm away from home, using my Digital Camera. I can fetch them off the SD card but it seems the only thing the N800 will do is View them or set one as Background wallpaper.
Isn't there a cut-down version of Paintshop Pro or something that you can Crop, or better Re-size a photo for sending in email? An example would be a 1mg jpg resizing down to 75k and then attaching the result to an email.

I've searched for hours last night on the web trying to find a small (not memory hungry) image manipulator but to no avail.
I know images are memory hungry but the N800 seems to handle videos well, so it has a reasonably usable swap file.

I'd be very pleased if anyone can point me to some software. It doesn't have to be freebie, I'll pay for it.
Thanks
Plado

Mirage might be your best bet. Go to http://maemo.org/ and look in the downloads area, either searching by name or looking under graphics... But first, have you updated to OS2008? I think the image editor that comes with it is much better than the 2007 one.

To upgrade to 2008 see
http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...verything.html

Thank you very much for that. In fact your information is very advanced almost psychic, because I was just going to post that I've turned out to be a total dunce in that I found the Image Rotate Crop Resize functions in the normal Image Viewing window. (Yes I got the 2008 firmware downloaded within the first half day of using it)

Previously I hadn't investigated the icons at the bottom of the screen as they appeared to be greyed-out but they are just watery contrast and they are all the editing functions I require.
What a twerp I am ! I'll go and look at your advised software though as you never know what might come in handy to do some more advanced stuff than the basics.

My only gripe just now with it, is I can't get it to find any downloadable Extras it just sticks on 1kb and says there isn't any. I've got full connectivity through my home WiFi access Point. But none of the advertised things like Camera show up in the list of downladables. But that's another issue and I'm not hi-jacking this question to get more.

Thanks again very much for your help.

Re. downloading, just go to maemo.org in your N800's web browser, find the app you want, and click on the download arrow on its page, then click "open" rather than "save" when you're offered the choice.

The 800 feels halfway between a developer toy and a real consumer product to me - I found more than once that there are several ways of doing something, with one being better/easier than another.

I'm working on image editing software atm.

Not close to release yet, but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks everyone for this. I've placed a further question on the forum in another section because I can't make the N800 download/run the Skype installer. In fact I can't make it download anything since I updated to the 2008 firmware.

I can fetch the install file. I run it from the SD card or from Documents in the Appl Manager and it gets stuck Downloading 1kB and stays there until I cancel and it says the list wasnt updated. I tried fetching it on my PC instead, to see if that worked and I ported it over with the USB cable. Firstly a copy into SD mem card, and then tried one copy into Documents and it was a very small file less than a mb just a few k.
Again it won't run, it says in Appl Manager downloading 1kB and again gets stuck.
Right now I cant even find my way back to where the Version of the Software is listed so I'm in a hell of a mess. Can anyone tell me what to do about this please?
I've posted a question on the Skype pages since all their FAQ and support assumes you're having trouble with the Skype running. I can't even get it to install !
Help what's gone wrong here? :-((

Plado

Plado - have you tried going to Maemo.org and following my instructions with a coupe of simple apps?

Re. Skype, it isn't something I use but you might want to look at:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...l-and-use.html

Yes my N800 is currently searching away on the web through my WiFi access in the same room as the PC I'm typing on.
It doesn't list the mirage in the 2008 firmware category, but I searched for mirage and it found it. But when I click the ICON to download mirage the Connecting window says Connecting and a blue progress bar dashes left and right and it clearly can't lock on to the file. I can download other software if I wanted to, as it goes to other bits of kit on that site and fetches other stuff. Is it just my luck that the ones I want, stall at the starting gate? I don't get this at all.
I'll just paste the URL again and it goes straight to Mirage Image Viewer and a green downward arrow shows Click to Install. Just done that again and it goes to the same state. Endless blue waggling rectangle doing a dance in the bottom right window. So far the online experience is only just above watching paint dry !!
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Plado

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I just installed Mirage with no speed problems whatsoever.

Perhaps your source of Wifi is the problem.

Edit: Actually, when I tried to get Mirage from the Maemo site I did have a problem; this was AFTER I had already downloaded and installed Mirage in what I consider the "normal way", which is to look in the installable apps in Application Manager.

Have you been to www.gronmayer.com/it/ yet? If you go there with your tablet, you can find programs to install without relying on the sometimes erratic Maemo site. Any repositories you install there will be reflected in your Application Manager Installable Programs list and will normally work fine.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-04-07 at 11:55.

I got mirage down via my Windows XP. Sent it to the N800 with USB. Tried to run it from Application Manager and it says
UNABLE TO INSTALL MIRAGE Incompatible application package. What?
I think it's an Application Manager Fault. I just went back to the Update firmware routine, having found the Version in Control Panel [About] it says, OS2008 version 2.2007.51-3
I tried to download it again and update it all. Procedure went normally but after Restore from SD Card to bring back all the settings, date, time documents and so on it said that the Application Manager needs updating.
So I asked it to do that. And here we go again the Update Process gets stuck on Downloading 1kB. How many days do you have to leave it to update its own Applications?
The situation is clearly quite crazy.

It's working in all other modes. But before I put it away for the day to prevent myself flushing the thing down the loo! I've tried to install the Skype again. Connecting ..........dancing blue line, whizzing for eternity. No go.
I give up unless someone has a brain-wave on this.
Thanks for all your time btw
Plado