Hmm... I'll have to update my vB logo.
Code:
i n t e r n e t t a b l e t T A L K talk.maemo.org
I know the font's wrong in both, but the itT one did come a lot closer. Also, itT inline is much nicer than, what, tmo I guess? But, of course, practicalities (you know, like post/thanks-based karma ) trump those trivialities, and I really am pleased with this.

Speaking of which, I wonder how the user registrations will be collated. Will the forums keep a separate user db and simply have an association between a maemo.org account and itT talk account, or will it be a unified database?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I know the font's wrong in both, but the itT one did come a lot closer. Also, itT inline is much nicer than, what, tmo I guess? But, of course, practicalities (you know, like post/thanks-based karma ) trump those trivialities, and I really am pleased with this.
I'm thinking "Talk". A bit like "Downloads" or "Planet".

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Speaking of which, I wonder how the user registrations will be collated. Will the forums keep a separate user db and simply have an association between a maemo.org account and itT talk account, or will it be a unified database?
The forums are staying on the same servers, so the registration wont be changing in the short term. Account unification will likely wait until we get a real single-sign-on solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
<snip>
I like the name talk.maemo.org. You can abbreviate it as TMO or TMo or something. It looks professional, too. Its short to type. The name is descriptive.

<snip>
Unfortunately TMo sounds a lot like Tmobile.
How about saying "TM dot org"?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Unfortunately TMo sounds a lot like Tmobile.
How about saying "TM dot org"?
Or why not just "Talk"?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Talk Talk Talk
that's all you do is talk!!
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
It will be harder for anyone to say those on Internet Tablet Talk aren't part of the maemo.org community when voting next comes around, eh?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
I suppose since Nokia is not calling the next device an Internet Tablet, a forum called Internet Tablet Talk doesn't make so much sense anymore.
Not really. This forum could continue to talk about internet tablet devices and not let the lexicon be dictated by Nokia. That statement is a rationalization; this decision is a conscious one to join forces to push Maemo.

I am reading this thread after someone asked "aside from maemo, what is distinctive about the NITs?" How ironic. For me, it is unfortunate that the NITs are becoming all about Maemo. And now this forum, which is one of the few that I post in, is becoming a part of Maemo. I have absolutely nothing against Maemo or the Maemo community. In fact, I am a big advocate of the proposition that a mobile touch screen device has to have an OS matched to the device category, and often posted in support of Maemo. But I came into this because I had a soft spot for this new device category, and it just happened that, at the time, Nokia was the ONLY company offering such a device. I now lots of people are pushing Maemo, and that's good because the devices need a good OS. But, for me, the forum was about more than Maemo, and it's hard to believe that will continue once the forum becomes part of maemo.org.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Goodbye. (Too short.) Goodbye.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I hope everyone will give the new direction a chance before reacting drastically...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Not really. This forum could continue to talk about internet tablet devices and not let the lexicon be dictated by Nokia. That statement is a rationalization; this decision is a conscious one to join forces to push Maemo.
This forum was, in my understanding, initially established with the 770 launch. It has not covered (except as competitors) Zaurus, Apple, Palm, HTC, Archos, or even other Nokia devices with reasonably equivalent hardware, but differing in OS. While the tablet hardware has been consistently high-end (770 at launch, and N800 and N810 up through the N810 launch, if less so now, and the N9xx at its launch), the hardware has not been hugely differentiated from other devices. Even the screen resolution is no longer different from some competitors, and with Opera, many of them do a passable job as tablets that access the internet. MIDs are coming out now too, and while their x86 architecture does hurt them powerwise, they're also tablets with access to the internet.

Yet (whatever the reasons) these fora are not, in fact, providing primary coverage of them; they're relegated to "competitors". Since these fora are covering Maemo, it's not indicative of any change of direction, much less one dictated by Nokia, that they should merge with maemo.org.

Essentially, your complaint seems to be rather late, as it is actually against the established focus, not the name change.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: