Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I used to use screen protectors with all my devices prior to the N900. Invariably, the screen protectors got dirty and scratched and looked horrible (even when I would change to a new screen protector every once in a while), but I was comforted by the thought that the real screen was pristine. When the devices eventually died, I removed the screen protector and, sure enough, the screen was pristine, but I never got to enjoy it.

Starting with the N900 I have not used a screen protector at all. The screen has one or two tiny scratches, but overall it still looks great. And I am happy that I have been able to actually enjoy that nice shiny screen for the duration of my device's life. I say down with screen protectors.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
May be Im lucky and the Angle Sifo(other commenters) helped
it started working..
but question now is, if really one one gets stuck with problme hardware or wants to be a keyboard ninja..

is there anyway to operate N900 with keypad?

want it be a nice app that can read all custom shortcuts from a file.
and work accordingly..

all developers whats ur call?
waiting for comments..

Last edited by lav4you; 2012-05-03 at 15:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to lav4you For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
i've uploaded to extras-devel a package with xdotool: http://maemo.org/packages/view/xdotool/ , you can read about usage here: http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/ or search the web for tutorials - generally it allows you to fake mouse input for any windowed application, it has some issues in Maemo (mouse events don't wake up screen sometimes - I wanted to patch this to check if screen is locked and unlock if needed, but didn't have time for that -, there are problems with changing focus from one window to another), but it generally works.
Nice one I'll give a shot to see how its working

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@lav4you,

You (we) may want to continue discussion e.g. here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83643. Thread is about using xbindkeys to controll stuff using the keyboard.

I don't know if there's a standard "signal" that touch-only apps could recognize to tell them to move up/down. I guess it's depends a lot on which program it is.

What might be possibly possible is to build a fake mouse driver being controlled with the arrow keys. A bit uncomfortable, but might be useful when xbindkeys is not enough..

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
i have an idea
Have anyone saw the iphone package called activator ?
It makes triggers to every event
I.e if you clicked the status bar twice it will open an app ..if you shake the device it will shuffle and many other events that can inspire the developers here..have a look at it

@davdav,

AFAIK the iPhone does not have a hardware keyboard. If only for that reason anything coming from the iPhone will be absolutely irrelevant for the purposes of this thread: the discussion is about controlling the N900 with the hardware keyboard -- only -- such as when the digitazer goes bust, or because the user prefers it that way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
i dont mean that we want to port this app
am just telling you an idea ..trggering action to events.. whatever they are.. may be they are an CTRL+FUN+M to open menu got it ?

Yup. It's what xbindkeys is for. See the thread I linked above.

Triggering actions to events (whatever they are) is unfortunately too unspecific...

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
so here is another idea why we dont compine the 2 things in 1 app
beside its for making shortcuts you can add things like clicking on the vol.up key and hold it it changes the song .. once the charger connected it locks it self .. many other ideas..
have a look @ activator for iphone plz
thanks in advance

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
@misiak
i think it is better to create a thread for this .
here in this one may not every body see your idea
Originally Posted by lav4you View Post
Nice one I'll give a shot to see how its working
This is quite old package (>1 year old), I just took sources from Debian's repositories, optified and uploaded to extras-devel, so it's nothing new. I've seen that other developer is using this package as dependency for his software. Xdotool is great piece of software

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post: