Notices

Wow, believe it or not, such a nice site survey tool doesn't even exist on standard Linux (GUI and everything). Even on Windows there is not much choice, best of them being inSSIDer. I think you should get some ideas from their UI (AP list, signal/time graph...). You already have enough data, just add it to GUI. And make the graphs as big as possible please, you should make a better use of screen real estate. And I know this is alpha/beta stage, I'm just suggesting improvements.

Video:

My problem is that it says I dont have PyQT4

I use inSSIDer a lot today and would be great to have that or equivalent on the n900

Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Doesnt load for me

I installed it, failed on the dependencies so I did an apt-get -f install which installed pythonwifi and the wifieye

however on clickign the icon it starts to load with the little spinning disc then goes back to my main desktop screen
Same effect here only i used apt-get install python-wifi after dpkg -i.

Ok i have this working.

Code:
1. enable extras-devel in app manager, disbable extras, extras-testing.
2. install "pyqt examples and documentation" from development
3. disable extras-devel in app manager, enable extras-testing
4.  sudo apt-get install python-wifi
5. disable extras-testing, enable extras
6. sudo dpkg -i wifieye_0.1.0-1_all.deb
7. sudo update-sudoers
8. edit /usr/share/applications/hildon/wifieye.desktop 
    change Exec=/usr/bin/wifieye
    to         Exec=/opt/wifieye/bin/core.py
@v13
/usr/bin/wifieye is a zero byte file I guess this should have been some sort of launcher.

This is really useful, I use inssider on vista this is so much more portable!
Some colours are a little difficult to see purple/pink , and it would help if ssids kept the same colour after a refresh. Other than than very impressed.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Hello again :-)

Please be patient until I properly package it and add it to extras-devel.

For what you're asking:

@all: It seems that there is a problem with pyhon-qt4 in extras-testing. python-qt4-gui and python-qt4-core cannot be both installed from there. You'll need to get python-qt4-gui from extras-devel. I don't believe there is something that I can do about this.

@fred123: /usr/bin/wifieye should be a soft link to /opt/wifieye/bin/core.py. Can you check that?

@rooted: Thanks for your feedback. I'm currently trying to make it similar to Android's WifiAnalyzer which I liked. However, this is a Qt app and should also run on every linux distribution (tested already). It only needs minor fixes (like the colors and sudo path). The graph that is shown is a widget so it can be reused anywhere. I'm planning to create another one which will also be widget, thus making it possible to make a pc-friendly interface, similar to the one the video shows.

@jaffa, giannoug: Going for it :-)

@BabelO: Indeed, that was my packaging bug. Please run update-sudoers as root. It should work after that. (or wait for the next version)

Oh.. and one more thing: This app is somehow portrait friendly/ready, but I can't get python+qt4 portrait mode. If anyone can show me a working python+qt4+portrait example I'll add it too. Unfortunately, using standard gtk/hildon methods for portait mode (or gpodder's) make the program segfault when the QApplication is created.

@v13
I've checked /usr/bin/wifieye it is symlink and having restored the .desktop entry it now works OK, not sure what changed but it was very early this morning.

Wifieye is now available in extras-devel. Version 0.2.1-1 should be working.

Remember that using software from extras-devel may harm your device in many ways.

Have fun :-)

Please reports bugs here or via e-mail.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
I have it working now, many thanks for this

I see 3.0-1 has just appeared in devel any new features?