Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
some quick thoughts - #1 has vexed us for awhile, and #2 is now questionable since we seem to be facing an end to bug fixes with MeeGo coming.
bugs.maemo.org is the preferred (as a user and as an application author) home for Extras apps' bugs.

At least #1 is useful in the future.
Well, arguably if Maemo becomes a relatively static (and dwindling) community of people who have 770s, N8x0s and (maybe, we'll see) N900s, SSO is arguably less important as everyone can juggle the three logins and the fact that logging in in one place doesn't log you in in another.

I would add trying some project to bridge maemo and Meego, if possible, such as through stskeeps MeeGo adaptation for N8x0 devices replacement for Mer, Mer^2...
Stskeeps is already pushing that forward, but I've no problem emphasising that a day-to-day usable MeeGo for N8x0 and N900 are desirable. Such a thing would hasten the "demise" of maemo.org though, I think. But, in many ways, that'd be a Good Thing.

And while it is good, we shouldn't yet require that projects must have experience that can translate to meego.com, IMHO
Agreed. However, if MeeGo does become a day-to-day usable OS for the N900 and N8x0 there will be a massive decampment of the Maemo community to meego.com. Having stuff we can bring to the table there is useful, I think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Assumption: in a year's time most of you active here will be running a MeeGo based OS in your current or new device(s), and will be active around meego.com.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
If someone is in a paid position for Maemo, all paid work should be for Maemo related issues (of course there may be some overlap with Meego)
To be precise, Nokia is funding some Maemo community members to work on the tasks that the Maemo community find important.

In a perfect world even the 770 would run MeeGo, Harmattan would be a rpm based variant just sitting on top of the MeeGo 2010Q4 release and all maemo.org goodies could just be integrated in meego.com. This is not the situation though, and therefore we need to find a transition path.

As I see it, MeeGo will progress with or without Maemo community inside and Nokia will transition to plain MeeGo with or without Maemo community following. Of course the chances of success are much higher when the Maemo community is active, involved and kicking *** in the process.

The Maemo 5 path is known and stable. The first MeeGo release is around the corner and with it will start the development of the second release targeting 2010Q4, which is the one going side by side with the API compatible Harmattan. Now the loud community request is PR1.2 but at the end of these 100 days the loud requests will probably go all around Harmattan integration with MeeGo mainline:

- Documentation and polishing of diffs between Harmattan and MeeGo.
- Evolution of maemo.org Extras in MeeGo.
- Hassle-free deb/rpm deal for Harmattan developers and users.
- Hassle-free Extras/Ovi deal for Harmattan developers and users.
- Cross-pollination of Qt software and others across handset - netbook - other.
- Cross-pollination of OS variants across Nokia and other devices.

etc

It would be good to have 100 Days for maemo.org concentrating on the best transition to meego.com rather than building a fortress and own sustainable resources to survive for a longer time.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
So PR 1.2 is abandoned?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
So PR 1.2 is abandoned?
That's not what's been said.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
True. So PR 1.2 and the first Meego release is on the way

Will Meego release be available through OTA like PR 1.2?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Will Meego release be available through OTA like PR 1.2?
No. Itīs not update to Maemo system. Itīs basically new OS so it will be provided as image file that you can flash to your N900. Pretty please use search. We have Wiki article about this. This is totally off-topic here.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
So PR 1.2 is abandoned?
The maemo.org development team has nothing to do with Maemo 5 development, but I understand it is tempting to ask about PR releases whenever a Nokia employee shows up.

The bottom line is:

- If a maemo.org user is happy with Maemo 5 then he will be mostly happy about the current maemo.org since most things work fine.

- If a maemo.org user is happier following the MeeGo path then she will prefer that the best of maemo.org makes its way to meego.com.

Looking at the maemo.org user base we seem to have mainly an avantgarde that will jump to the first train as soon as it's convincing and a long tail that is here more for the support and the social part. For the latter maemo.org is mostly in good shape as long as the servers are up, the forums moderated, etc. For the former meego.com brings new stuff already now, and even more during the next 100 days.

Having the avangarde concentrating now in a good maemo.org ->
meego.com evolution will smooth the path for the long tail, that without a doubt will start being interested as soon as there are screenshots, videos, sdk, device launches...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
T
Looking at the maemo.org user base we seem to have mainly an avantgarde that will jump to the first train as soon as it's convincing and a long tail that is here more for the support and the social part. For the latter maemo.org is mostly in good shape as long as the servers are up, the forums moderated, etc. For the former meego.com brings new stuff already now, and even more during the next 100 days.

Having the avangarde concentrating now in a good maemo.org ->
meego.com evolution will smooth the path for the long tail, that without a doubt will start being interested as soon as there are screenshots, videos, sdk, device launches...
Are you saying/predicting meego.com is going to satisfy the wants of the N8x0 and N900 aficionados? So far when I've wandered there, I haven't seen it. Studying Nokia's software strategy paper, it appears to me that the UI/UX of Nokia meego devices might be derived from maemo and not supported at meego.com.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Are you saying/predicting meego.com is going to satisfy the wants of the N8x0 and N900 aficionados?
I don't have a crystal ball but that's my guess for N8x0 and N900 aficionados active in maemo.org, yes.

So far when I've wandered there, I haven't seen it.
You haven't seen any MeeGo Handset UX running on Nokia devices, a solid SDK with a compatible Qt API or a Nokia device launched based on MeeGo. That's why.

Studying Nokia's software strategy paper, it appears to me that the UI/UX of Nokia meego devices might be derived from maemo and not supported at meego.com.
I don't quite understand your point here. The official MeeGo Handset UX and whatever customization Nokia does as a MeeGo vendor are both based on the same technologies, primarily developed by the Qt and MeeGo Devices teams at Nokia.

If this comment wasn't helpful please clarify your point.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Agenda:
  1. Review of progress over the past year of maemo.org team (open discussion)
  2. Setting priorities for next 3 months for the community - not micro-tasks, but larger goals
  3. Allocation of ownership & co-ordination responsibilities within these tasks to members of the maemo.org team
  4. A full & frank discussion of the impact of the MeeGo project on the short-term goals of Maemo

I propose next Tuesday for the meeting date - at our usual time (15h UTC IIRC) in the usual place (#maemo-meeting on Frenode).
Given the positive feedback and the general satisfaction with the proposed agenda, I confirm the meeting time & place for tomorrow, 15h UTC, in #maemo-meeting.

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post: