Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by dy1ng View Post
It's very smooth until it runs out of physical RAM, and have to use its swap.
The N900 was marketed to have 1GB or RAM : divided in 256 real RAM and 700 MB SWAP, haha - go figure, many desktop workstations with this configuration also run smooth until RAM runs out... and that happens very fast with a few web pages opened. Sadly there is no way to upgrade the RAM apart from purchasing the NeoN900 board.

Any ideas of making the device that fast as it seems to be on that video?
Since I am interested in the same topic I have watched the video but felt disappointment. There is nothing to see there.

The video shows a fast UI, not necessarily a fast N900 system.

Basically he is not trying to stretch its limits where swap will become a real issue.

We all want to improve the N900 response time when we are truly multitasking.

Waiting for webpages to load is not an indication of professional N900 usage .

You should open a few and let them load in the background while doing other stuff, launching more programs.

He should be demonstrating all those actions with Skype and other IM logged in, LibreOffice loading in the background through easy Debian, FLAC music playing in the background, all standard productivity applications opened while receiving an incoming phone call.

Then we will see how smooth and fast the alleged tweaked system really is.

Regardless, we will all agree that the N900 is the device to make and get things done, even if it isn't the fastest.

It is possible to make a video that will make the N900 look way more powerful than the Jolla with current OOM policy that equally prefers to offer a smooth interface over full multitasking.

Leaving things like auto rotate enabled is asking for extra delays. Just turn it off and live with landscape will already improve the experience.

What's are your guys swap settings (in detail if I might ask).
Standard recommended Swapolube settings and 800MB on SD.

What other parameters should I check?

I forgot since I last setup one but I am pretty pleased with the performance, understanding the system's limits.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
You should open a few [web pages] and let them load in the background while doing other stuff, launching more programs.
That might be tricky. MicroB does not load in the background. That's my only gripe with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
CPU's up_treshold and sampling rate

a little more information on this please

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That might be tricky. MicroB does not load in the background. That's my only gripe with it.
Are you certain? Please try other web sites: I launch them from bookmarks then quickly go to application manager , calculator or media player.

Always when I return the page has been loaded.

Also, I see the page continuing to load in task overview. (life mini icons, sniff when watching I get tears in my eyes, wishing it was 2009 again )

Javascript disabled of course because there is some setting: "allow Javascript pauzing" which might be the reason causing your gripe.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Are you certain?
Hmm. You may be right, I take it back. I remember having struggled with it: trying to open another page, then quickly returning to the one I was reading (shame there is no "open in background"), expecting the background page to be loaded by the time I got back to it. But it always only started loading at that point. But the truth is that I usually do it only with picture-heavy pages (otherwise, what's the point, right? ). I just tried it with Wikipedia, TMO and DDG and they did all load in the background.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary

The video shows a fast UI, not necessarily a fast N900 system.

Basically he is not trying to stretch its limits where swap will become a real issue.
Well, I think you're right.
I think my system is pretty fast, and I guess I pushed it to the hardware limits.
I just keep thinking about an N900 with 1GB REAL RAM...
I remember my HTC Universal, that comes to the market with 64 MB, but with an empty BGA memory slot, so I upgraded it to 128 MB.. that was the dream.

I learned to balancing my usage of the N900, so I rarely running out of RAM, but without its limits I would like to use it without the urge of closing programs like cutetube, musikloud, my favourite topics, web sites, music player, etc

When N900 was released, everybody told that she is a fully multitasking beast, and that is partially true, but with serious limits...
I don't know whose idea was that this device has to live with 256 MB ram...

The Following User Says Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post:
When N900 was released, everybody told that she is a fully multitasking beast, and that is partially true, but with serious limits...
I don't know whose idea was that this device has to live with 256 MB ram...
A company with arrogant management that was used to being its own biggest competitor for too many years.

One single Nokia device to rule and outclass all previous ones was never meant to be.

Any Nokia selling thousands if not hundred thousands of copies could potentially save 6 number digits figures when leaving out some vital RAM all while insuring users would still have incentive left to upgrade.

Look at how Samsung is depleting its cards quickly - they just introduced 6GB chips and those will probably find their way into the high end smartphones of 2016-17 by lack of other sales arguments.
http://androidandme.com/2015/09/news...-go-up-to-6gb/
Soon you can run 5 virtual Maemo 5's on one Samsung (without the interesting hardware bits).

Nokia N900 was step 4 out of 5 so a successor with 512 - 1GB was in the pipeline.. It would have had an amazing and had a unique life span and sadly for Nokia, with such a device in our hands they would not be missed half that much as today.

The biggest miracle and nice goodbye message is the Nokia 808 with a massive total overkill 512 Nokia RAM on Symbian

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Agreed.
About the 808, that amount of RAM is not a coincidence, that device actually uses it for processing huge data of the captured photos.
Still, Symbian is dumb for me now. (But I loved my Symbian phones in their time - especially the N91 and N93i. ).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
CPU's up_treshold and sampling rate

a little more information on this please
Those are basic CPU parameters in Linux, and we can adjust them (among others) through kernel-power-settings in N900's with Kernel Power.
Google them, if you curios more about them.
Sample rate speaks for itself, up treshold regulates that when is neccessary to set the next higher CPU clock.
I have it in 25, so 25% of CPU load is enough for it to set itself from 500 to 1000MHz.
I haven't noticed any affects on battery life, so I'm using it only with this two freqs allowed.

Last edited by dy1ng; 2015-09-28 at 21:01.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Those are basic CPU parameters in Linux, and we can adjust them (among others) through kernel-power-settings in N900's with Kernel Power.
Google them, if you curios more about them.
Sample rate speaks for itself, up treshold regulates that when is neccessary to set the next higher CPU clock.
I have it in 25, so 25% of CPU load is enough for it to set itself from 500 to 1000MHz.
I haven't noticed any affects on battery life, so I'm using it only with this two freqs allowed.
ola its intresting automatic thing
soon i ll have more questions ;