Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by trevarthan View Post
No, it's not about eye candy at all.

It's about easily scrolling with your fingers. Scroll bars are often difficult to drag with fingers. And often you want to keep scrolling with one motion. It's supposed to be intuitive. When you flick something in real life, you expect physics to kick in. Why not on a screen too?

But if you're really hard conditioned by scroll bars and mice, then it won't seem quite as intuitive at first.
You don't need any "kinetics" to scroll efficiently with your fingers. I can allready easily scroll non-kinetically with my finger in Opera, and I have tried "kinetic scrolling" on my Fujitsu tablet (with the Firefox "Grab and drag" add-on, admitted with the stylus as the Fujitsu is finger-insensitive), and I must say that I prefer the N800's current method, where the screen actually stops when my finger stops. And FWIW, I hardly ever use the scrollbars on my N800's browser.

The kinetic thing does nothing, save wasting CPU cycles. Which, given that today's CPUs are hopelessly overpowered for what their users are actually capable of doing, kinda makes sense...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by trevarthan View Post
The only difference is that you can't flick it.
And thank $DEITY for that...

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Apropos kinetic scrolling... My impression is that's better to separate the 'active part of the widget where you make choose' from the 'active part of the widget used for scrolling'
The fact is that my screen (but i'm sure i'm not alone) sometimes (often) registers some faulty clicks (i hate to apply too much pressure on the screen) and subsequently some not desidered action are performed (VERY annoying - in Kagu it means selection of not wanted cds/songs)
OK, the solution shold be a better screen, but if you can scroll using also a dedicate area, my personal feedback with device and applications will improve.
An example of this is ukmp, where i always use an empty section of the screen to scroll amongst cds, it feels better imho