Hi,

Wasn't sure where to ask - I hope the "Developer" forum is the right place. I've been a member of ITT for a few months (since I bought my 770) and have been visiting ITT even longer. My experience here so far is that the Internet Tablets are attract a lot of great Linux development, and that's what drew me to the device.

I work for a company that developed a Linux-based security camera system, and we are looking to re-engineer the camera software and features. So, what we are looking for is someone to write the code to control the camera and communicate with a central server. (We've got the programmers for the server side.) We already have a working version, but it could be even better, therefore we're looking for your help.

I'm the Marketing Guy so I probably can't explain it so well. (I do have a BS in Computer Science, but things changed since then ) Take a look here to see how it works:

http://www.u42s.com/howitworks.html

To control the camera, you log into a web portal that is hosted on our server, and the server talks to the camera. It makes it a very secure solution. The the server sends out the alarm notifications through email, sms, and mms gateways.

We're based in Berlin, have an offices in the UK and Jena(server programmers). It would be convenient if you were located near those places, but it's not critical.

If you're experienced with such systems and think you can help, please pm me. Of course we pay. And by the way, we have contracts with major mobile providers, so the potential is pretty big. I can send you more technical info upon request.

Thanks,

~Dan

PS: Du kannst auf Deutsch antworten - hab kein Problem damit

Last edited by dlhuss; 2007-09-10 at 15:52.

Let me know what needs doing, what resources are available and what the remunerations are ...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
side question: A buddy of mine uses something similar, dlhuss, but can't access it over his N800. What about your setup?

If it's based upon a Java plugin on the browser, then plan on coding a custom client.
Look into using Flash for the video output and javascript/AJAX for the camera control for a one-stop solution across platforms and not just the N800.
The N800 with the latest firmware update does Flash 9 video now.
Too bad it's Berlin...would prefer Frankfurt.

Thanks for the responses.

Yabbas, I'll get back to you in a private message.

Texrat, heh, heh, just checked it for the first time with my 770 running current OS2006 - everything (camera controls, alarm viewing, slideshow, alarm triggering) works great except the streaming pop-up window, that's java. I, of course, didn't expect it to work, but that is the part that is buggy in our current system.

iball, I might have some questions for you on the side, but you're right, we use a java plugin on the browser for the stream. The camera delivers JPEG images, or M-JPEG for video, and I'm not sure we can change that on the camera side, but I guess anything could be converted to output to the web (using a reflection server). We'd definitely like to make the stream as universal as possible - PC, mobile phone, N800 . Don't worry, we won't make you come to Berlin. You can sit in Klappegasse 33 or Bangalore if you want, just upload your code.

Originally Posted by dlhuss View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Yabbas, I'll get back to you in a private message.

Texrat, heh, heh, just checked it for the first time with my 770 running current OS2006 - everything (camera controls, alarm viewing, slideshow, alarm triggering) works great except the streaming pop-up window, that's java. I, of course, didn't expect it to work, but that is the part that is buggy in our current system.
Java is currently a no-go on all the Nokia tablets at the moment. No idea when/if thta will ever be fixed.

Originally Posted by dlhuss View Post
iball, I might have some questions for you on the side, but you're right, we use a java plugin on the browser for the stream. The camera delivers JPEG images, or M-JPEG for video, and I'm not sure we can change that on the camera side, but I guess anything could be converted to output to the web (using a reflection server). We'd definitely like to make the stream as universal as possible - PC, mobile phone, N800 . Don't worry, we won't make you come to Berlin. You can sit in Klappegasse 33 or Bangalore if you want, just upload your code.
If the camera can output in standard MPEG-4 then the mplayer app on the N800/N770 should be able to easily stream it into a custom window in a custom non-web application.
Just have the application (or web-based application) detect which browser is being used and direct the N800 to a different set of display pages.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Berlin, Germany
Aaaaaaaaaahh, wrong university education but right city. (and with a very bad English)

Someone in Berlin looking for a civil engineer with some informatik skills?

Beware of my English! Beware of my English!