I am a big fan of the n900 & this forum but this thread has seriously turned me off.

the amount of hostility here against a fellow n900 user who is having trouble & is fustrated with it it is something that I havent seen here in a while.

To see uncalled for insults so concentrated in one thread against 1 user isnt good (in my opinion)

does anyone agree with this?

IMO I have seen threads from less knowlagable users helped more, the OP seems to know a lot more than noobs.

not withstanding the comments in the OP, not a good thread for TMO (again My opinion only)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to philbelfast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
sound like you removed the repos by accident or intentionally, and for the media. Can you see them in File Manager? if you can then it meant that your tracker is either skip the folder (if you use tracker-cfg app), if it is not there then it meant that your eMmc is either formated when you tried to set permission and played with The commandline. Terminal command line for power user was never meant to play around with for a none linux savy.

By the look at your problems, it is seems you repartition the eMMC to do something that not the standard setting for it. Were you doing anything to it before it stopped working? Trace your steps and relocate your problems.
The best thing to do now is go into one of the electronc store and buy yourself a microUSB and relash it. It is the fastest way to fix your problem. The worst way is to trying to resolve the problem via commandline but that would end up taking longer than you can afford.

N900 will not go unstable without your own silliness faults, if you installed bad applications then you'll suffer from it. Extra-Devel is a dangerous place for beginner, even for me I find it scary at times.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Dude said he has had the phone for a year something and his battery drains fast as hell. Happened to my phone as well because of overall use. Get a scud battery, and as far as the media not showing up in Media Player you did not specify what media. Are you talking .flv files? If so there is a fix for that, search its your friend here in this forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by kemar7856 View Post
i'm not a power user I use it mostly for the emulators
You have to be patient with this phone, plus do your research before doing anything on it.Ask around, search and you`ll find your answers to your problems.I`m not a power user either but I didn`t have a problem overclocking. installing droid and all the game emulators in the world....even webos games....so I don`t think the N900 sucks.Most of the time It`s the users` problem and not the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
My battery power last me around 6hours to 8hours with intense usage (very high usage), and normally lasted me 20 to 28hours on medium usage. I don't see how you can managed to get 80%+ cpu loads if you know what you're doing. FYI, i had more than 100 applications installed. Thats not included emulator like Preenv + its games.

no way just playing on my cps2 emulator will drain the battery in 2 hours

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Dude said he has had the phone for a year something and his battery drains fast as hell. Happened to my phone as well because of overall use. Get a scud battery, and as far as the media not showing up in Media Player you did not specify what media. Are you talking .flv files? If so there is a fix for that, search its your friend here in this forum.
songs,photos videos which is werid because I have the boot loader and it ran the video fine

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
sound like you removed the repos by accident or intentionally, and for the media. Can you see them in File Manager? if you can then it meant that your tracker is either skip the folder (if you use tracker-cfg app), if it is not there then it meant that your eMmc is either formated when you tried to set permission and played with The commandline. Terminal command line for power user was never meant to play around with for a none linux savy.

By the look at your problems, it is seems you repartition the eMMC to do something that not the standard setting for it. Were you doing anything to it before it stopped working? Trace your steps and relocate your problems.
The best thing to do now is go into one of the electronc store and buy yourself a microUSB and relash it. It is the fastest way to fix your problem. The worst way is to trying to resolve the problem via commandline but that would end up taking longer than you can afford.

N900 will not go unstable without your own silliness faults, if you installed bad applications then you'll suffer from it. Extra-Devel is a dangerous place for beginner, even for me I find it scary at times.
it just happened this morning I never installed,removed apps or the repos the most I did was play music. Then I started getting errors about memory full and conversations errors every 2 mins I did format my microsd afterwards trying to solve it and it was partitioned with nitdroid so I kinda erased that or no reason

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Despite OP's original agro, there's actually nothing that they've mentioned that I (and many others) haven't also experienced.

RootFS full? yep.

Laggy phone? yep

Mysterious battery drop? yep

Losing repos for no known reason (then magically re-appearing...) yep

Whilst I can't talk for the hammering that emulators might give the battery, I can certainly say that I've had most of these problems over the year or so that I've owned my N900.

the shite phone lock, unable to answer calls, proximity sensor fail problem occured for me (for the first time in a while) last week, and guess what? My FIRST thought was "This sucks balls!"

Reflashing fix my problems? Yep. Lucky me for being at home with my laptop and USB cable.....

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by kemar7856 View Post
I had enough of this BS if its not one problem its another I had this phone for over a year now but now its F#$#DD garbage

1. battery sucks balls I have 2g on,disabled everything and it still horrible I charged it all night went to shower got dressed (not using it and its not connected to wifi or edge) I get on the bus and this garbage is already at 88% I checked tops and nothing is over 2% cpu load WTH

2.later on none of my media would display and the app manger gives me an error no repos

3.No I cant flash it i'm on the road and dont have my USB these problems just started out of nowhere

4.errors so far
no space in conversations
no permission when i'm in root
app manger no repos
no media
apt_update/clean/purge etc etc none of them will work

#$#$# this phone i'm getting an expera play

if I can fix this without flashing maybe i'll change my opinion
Aaaar, comon, its not that bad.
I agree it can be frustrating at times when things don't work the way they should. Any device has its limitations, otherwise there would be no reason to ever upgrade.

Sounds like a reflash is in order whenever you get back to your PC.

I'm thinking I'll get the Sony Xperia Pro once it gets cheaper 6 months after release.
Which means I'll stick with the N900 for a while yet.
Maybe the next Maemo/Meego update or even Nitdroid with call ability will keep new life in it.

BTW, just yesterday I downloaded a 2.2GB avi file with Transmission in 3.5 hours, had it overclocked to 750MHz, of course had to have it on charge while downloading. By downloading to an SD card the phone was still responsive and usable. Was able to play the video file with subtitles straight away, no conversion necessary.

So the old N900 can still pull its brick weight.
Just don't mention Flash 10.

Note that the many reviews I've read of Android devices with keyboards also only get about 1 to 1.5 days of battery life with average use.

Tags
battery drain, battery life, repositories, root space