Active Topics

Notices

I need a map of the programs for viewing maps.

In the N800 there is pre-installed "Map" and ability to download some maps. I never needed that, but tested it out yesterday, just for fun. For me, the major shortcoming was that it did not show street names until the zoom was focused on a very small area. I couldn't find a fix for that. But after downloading the East and West USA, I checked some cities and the street layout are pretty much up-to-date. I just can't see the street names.

Then in the maemo garage I noticed a program "maemo-mapper" is at the top of the download list. "Is that the same Map program?" I wondered. Apparently not. And there is something in the N800 ApplicationManager called "mapdownloader" that gets "maptile" maps by longitude and latitude. But it does not say what program the maptile would be for.

<rant>Generally, I've found programs for N800 to be badly labeled and their descriptions are not informative. If maemo-mapper said "this is a free/open competitor against the Map program from the Wayfinder company that is provided in the N800" it would have helped me a bit more.

Speaking of vague descriptions, note flite is described as a hacked up version of flite! If the description said "this is a synthesizer that converts written text into audible speech" think how much happier people would be And then, if fbReader would use flite to read out loud, we could dance in the street with joy!</rant>

PJ

The Following User Says Thank You to pauljohn32 For This Useful Post:
Well, you usually get what you pay for. Ranting about poor descriptions of free software seems just a tad juvenile to me, but maybe that's just me.

Maemo Mapper is much better than the built-in program, and you can get all sorts of maps, including satellite photos. Try different sources for the maps and see which you like the best. I like the VE street maps, myself. It's just not possible to fit all street names on large-scale maps, there just isn't room. You have to get to a scale which gives room for the street names. I think you'll find Google or VE maps do this better, though.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
Well, you usually get what you pay for. Ranting about poor descriptions of free software seems just a tad juvenile to me, but maybe that's just me.
He's absolutely right though. It's not limited to maemo of course, I hate seeing things like "KSplungeBlatt - SplungeBlatt for KDE".

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
He's absolutely right though. It's not limited to maemo of course, I hate seeing things like "KSplungeBlatt - SplungeBlatt for KDE".
Dude - they have SplungeBlatt for KDE? I've been waiting for that for, like, forever!

The Following User Says Thank You to DataPath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
We could use a really well-written description of all the programs.
When do you start?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Cryptic names and descriptions for software seems to just be part of the linux culture. Its not a problem if you get in the habit of reading the forums and learn about the packages from reading the threads. Or you can do a google search on the name of the package and site:internettablettalk.com

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
We could use a really well-written description of all the programs.
When do you start?
He just did, first post. Read it again, and add his descriptions to the packages. Thanks!

Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
Dude - they have SplungeBlatt for KDE? I've been waiting for that for, like, forever!

I've been trying to compile GSplungeBlatt but I'm missing libneedlenardlenoo.so.0

No suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
He just did, first post. Read it again, and add his descriptions to the packages. Thanks!
Well, that's description isn't accurate, since maemo mapper was available well before there was a map program bundled with the tablet, so maybe "maemo mapper is what the map application bundled with the tablet will be when it's grown up"

Yeah, shut your mouth, this is free stuff, take it and like it. Your opinion to maybe make things better and easier and also instill some concise less geeky attitude, is not needed.

btw does anyone know if there is an update to hildergranommgeltigat.deb.so for os2008?