Hallo,

I just register an account, so this is my very first post
Sorry for the broken English, I am actually living in Germany...
Now what's going on...
I was very close buying a new Zaurus c1000, when Sharp suddenly pronounced that they are going to stop the zaurus production. Honestly, I am in love with the Sarus Cxxxx Series, but I won't spend my money on a product that died, right now. I was looking for an alternative and here I am I have a few qeuestions, so I hope somebody can help me :

1) Is the Maemo Software Community as much open as the Zaurus Community is?
2) How's the battery life in a Real-Worl Environment? Can it be compared to the battery-life of a zaurus Cxxxx?
3) This is a very important point to me, PERFORMANCE. The Zaurus C-Series has a pxa270 Xscale @416mhz, which is not the most powerfull cpu. The N800 has an integrated omap2420, running at only 320mhz. Compared to the cpu of the zaurus, it seems to be less powerfull because of the clock. But the omap has the next generation of ARM architecture (armv6) with bultin FPU an SIMD Instruction set. This should at least compensate the difference in clock-speed, am I right? Additionally, it has a DSP. The IVA and graphics accelerator is a whole different story... will jump back to his, later.
I am not buying the N800 fot watching movies, only, but I read that movie performance should be horrible. Why does the zaurus seem to have better performance? Will the N800 be able to play Movies at least as good as the Zaurus C1000 can? I know, the N800 has some performance problems, because of a lack in cpu optimization. What do you think, is the performance of the N800 really going to me improved?
I want an small sized computer, running linux and having network tools, a shell and lots of connectivity, I hope the N800 can make it good for me.

Now jumping back to the IVA and 2D/3D accelarator story...

Regarding to this, the IVA Co-processor is not used:
http://www.mail-archive.com/maemo-de.../msg06652.html

The graphics accelerator is also disabled:
http://www.mail-archive.com/maemo-de.../msg06654.html

IMHO, it ist not important to have 3D acceleration on such an device, but I am very suprised that the video accelerator chip (IVA) is not used. So now the big question to anyone who has deeper knowledge of the N800 device... is the IVA disabled in hardware? Did NOKIA just order a set of omaps from TI with disconnected IVA's? Or is it just not supported from a software(driver,kernel) standpoint? If there are "just" no drivers, at the moment, is there any chance that we can use the IVA, someday? It can turn the N800 into a powerfull Multimedia device. The N93 seems to use the IVA, according to the maemo mail-archive, so the technology is somewhere hidden on Nokia's harddisks an in the developer's brains...

Shortly, is there any chance the IVA is going to be used? Is there any hope, the performance of the N800 will improve a little bit? If the performance is at least equal to the peformance of a zaurus, at the moment, I think I am going tu buy one...

Sorry for writing that much, but there are a few things going up and down in my head, I just dont't want to make a mistake a regret that I didn't by a zaurus... I can live with the lack of an true keyboard, so the other things are important to me...

Thank you very, very much

DCr33P

Last edited by DCr33P; 2007-01-31 at 15:08. Reason: mistake in topic

Nobody there?

The Following User Says Thank You to DCr33P For This Useful Post: