Active Topics

The upcoming OS upgrade supposedly will have VOIP capacity. I understand that the Nokia can use a Bluetooth headset, but:

1. How will the Nokia tap into the phone line? Will it require an external telephone adapter for the 770? Or will it be strictly internet based (e.g. no cable line)?

2. If it does require some sort of TA, will it be compatible with all VOIP services, or just certain ones? e.g. I am using Callvantage.

3. I guess my biggest question is... will this require a new service or simply turn the 770 into a smart phone for existing services?

VOIP = Voice Over IP, which means that it will NOT use any phone lines.

Basically - it'll have something like Skype in it...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
My question re VoIP is more basic: Where's the microphone?

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by dandrewk
The upcoming OS upgrade supposedly will have VOIP capacity. I understand that the Nokia can use a Bluetooth headset, but:

1. How will the Nokia tap into the phone line? Will it require an external telephone adapter for the 770? Or will it be strictly internet based (e.g. no cable line)?

2. If it does require some sort of TA, will it be compatible with all VOIP services, or just certain ones? e.g. I am using Callvantage.

3. I guess my biggest question is... will this require a new service or simply turn the 770 into a smart phone for existing services?
What a question ? Of course it'll be via Internet. VoIP means Voice over IP don't forget.
Why do you want to use a TA or a PSTN when we speak about IP ?

db

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
My question re VoIP is more basic: Where's the microphone?
Near the power supply plug.
db

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Gourmet
Near the power supply plug.
db
Really? I thought that was the reset hole (only joking: it runs Linux after all).

Seriously, if that's the microphone, nGage jokes are going to have to go to a new level when people will be caught trying to phone with a 770.

BTW, is there any recording software vailable for the 770?

Gee, and yet Callvantage, Vonnage etc. DO need a phone line - the internal wiring variety. I am well aware what VOIP is.

Will I be able to use my current VOIP (and my current phone number), or completely switch over to whatever service Nokia uses?

I suppose most 770 users know that the IP stands for Internet Protocol and what that is, but I wonder if all of them do :-)

Does anybody know of a superb introduction to the VoIP world (other than ORA books)? I'm wondering what kind of hurdles to its use and adoption are - gateways and connectivity to other networks is one major issue - your VoIP phone is not that useful if you can't call others with similar things or the old phones. So what are the major VoIP networks etc.

I would suppose that the 770 would use a rather pure Internet kind of VoIP, just subscribe to a network that can be used with the VoIP application, and off you go, with all the great service the network can offer you... I don't know how well standardized the VoIP protocol scene is, but for example Skype to my knowledge is incompatible with other networks.

Apparently you wouldn't need a BT headset for the 770, however that can be a really nice thing (used them a little bit with traditional cell phones). Any idea whether the 770 would work with most BT headsets out there or would it only be compatible with a limited set of models?

As far as Callvantage, Vonnage etc., if anything it is an improvement over land lines. More options, access via PC, etc. and a LOT cheaper. I can use it with any phone, for all intents and purposes it is no different from other phone services, voice quality, reliability etc. The ONLY difference is it uses IP via a cable line instead of a phone wire.

Originally Posted by dandrewk
Gee, and yet Callvantage, Vonnage etc. DO need a phone line - the internal wiring variety. I am well aware what VOIP is.

Will I be able to use my current VOIP (and my current phone number), or completely switch over to whatever service Nokia uses?
The Terminal adapter is provided so that you use your regular phone to make VoIP calls through a service provider such as Vonage. You dont need one for making calls from your laptop/PDA. What you use is a SIP or Skype (any VoIP) client. Using a SIP client you can make SIP-SIP calls for free and I am sure there are services which will allow you to make SIP to PSTN calls for a small charge. (Check freeworlddialup for more info)

Vonage has its own softphone which can be installed on your laptop (windows and MAC only). I think it is the Xten lite but you need to subscribe to an additional softphone line for $9.99/month with Vonage.

Kphone which is a SIP client running on linux works with Vonage if you have the additional softphone service. So i guess what it will take to use your regular Vonage service from a N770 is to have an additional softphone account and someone to port Kphone for the N770 platform.

Kphone for use with Vonage

DaScud