Active Topics

Hello,

I am wondering how I can use the new dualboot feature and install Meego on my N900, like it was announced in this blog: http://meego.com/community/blogs/har...-calling-n900?
Is there a guide/documentation available?

Thanks,
mspoerr

I think we will need to wait until this page gets completed:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/Dual_Boot

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
MeeGo 1.1 isn't out yet, give us a little bit of time

What will happen if things go right:

* Package install from extras-devel that enables the u-boot boot loader.
* Upon startup, if there is a SD card that's bootable, it will boot the SD card, with MeeGo. Otherwise, it will boot Maemo.

More customized setups are possible for the daring.

However. You might need to use a u-boot suitable SD card image and I can't promise it'll be around on exact day of 1.1, but we'll see what we can do.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Stskeeps, Is the dual boot stuff only suited for Meego, or will it also make it easier to install e.g. Ubuntu?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by decibyte View Post
Stskeeps, Is the dual boot stuff only suited for Meego, or will it also make it easier to install e.g. Ubuntu?
It's suited for any kind of kernel boot.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
MeeGo 1.1 isn't out yet, give us a little bit of time

What will happen if things go right:

* Package install from extras-devel that enables the u-boot boot loader.
* Upon startup, if there is a SD card that's bootable, it will boot the SD card, with MeeGo. Otherwise, it will boot Maemo.

More customized setups are possible for the daring.

However. You might need to use a u-boot suitable SD card image and I can't promise it'll be around on exact day of 1.1, but we'll see what we can do.
Many thanks - Do you know if this will work for those who have installed NITDroid (which dual boots and resides on the Sd card?

Looking forward to having three great mobile OS's on the N900.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
Many thanks - Do you know if this will work for those who have installed NITDroid (which dual boots and resides on the Sd card?

Looking forward to having three great mobile OS's on the N900.
different booting system i think? multiboot v uboot?
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
What about "hold X to boot Maemo/Meego" ? So that its not needed to remove the card each time you want to boot back to Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
What about "hold X to boot Maemo/Meego" ? So that its not needed to remove the card each time you want to boot back to Maemo.
I second that. I thought it would be similiar to the bootmenu, but beggars can't be choosey :-)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

I think that once we get Meego going, it is a safe assumption that no one will have any reason to boot back into Maemo...

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaco2k For This Useful Post: