Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I do have pclos installed on my computer and one of the biggest grief for me as windows user is that after uninstalls and installs it gradually fills with different kind of libraries.
It is true here too. Automatic removal of unreferenced libraries may be dangerous in some cases but to do a manual removal you should KNOW which library is unreferenced and maintain the libraries status. With red pill mode it was possible for inexperienced user because the only skills required - knowing something about dependencies. You may not know about Linux (debian flavor) repository kitchen.

Unfortunately it was removed in attempt to guard some stupid people which doesn't understand dependencies. And it looks like nothing is in exchange beyond debian-style 'apt-get' or 'dpkg' which are more dangerous for inexperienced user - this commands may work in traditional Unix style "you ask - I do, no guards".

But that stupid people buys iPhone... and now Nexus One exists on market.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
That bug has been closed pending a brainstorm to come up with a consensus on "correct" behaviour. I suggest you create a Brainstorm issue and post your desired solution, and we can vote there to decide how to resolve this.
Respectfully I don't agree that bugs for simple enhancements, which is what bug #5797 is, need to be handled in a Brainstorm and since there doesn't appear to be a brainstorm open for this (and I'm not going to open it, I just agree with the proposed solutions within this bug) then it's been effectively killed as WONTFIX.

Also, just trying to access Brainstorm is impossible - page fails to load with the following error:
Code:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /mnt/netapp/pear/midcom/lib/midcom/core/privilege.php on line 651
I just say keep voting and sod Brainstorm for trivial/obvious sh1t like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ycann View Post
hi i can not find any solution for my problem in your signature....
if you can post me a link this will maby help me.....
look again, my bad. i thought the troubleshooting article was in beginners -category but it wasn't until now.

now you can see it and here's straight link
http://wiki.maemo.org/Troubleshooting
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
As Flandry said, you now need to create a BrainStorm.

Let us all know when you do, I'll vote.
Not gonna happen - a Brainstorm for this is a complete farce. Keep voting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States
I am very grateful PR1.0.1 is here to ready the our handsets for the BIG 1.1... all I am asking is voice guided navigation just like the one on N97. I am enjoying my N900 so far, learning a bit about Linux shell, and mainly this community being the best app of all in the www marketplace!!! Hope the navigation is next and perhaps some sort of Open Office alternative %)...LtR

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Not gonna happen - a Brainstorm for this is a complete farce. Keep voting.
lets use the brainstorming the day it works like it should be. meanwhile I suggest nobody should visit there just to stay away from traumas and other stressful experiences
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by LuckTR View Post
I am very grateful PR1.0.1 is here to ready the our handsets for the BIG 1.1... all I am asking is voice guided navigation just like the one on N97. I am enjoying my N900 so far, learning a bit about Linux shell, and mainly this community being the best app of all in the www marketplace!!! Hope the navigation is next and perhaps some sort of Open Office alternative %)...LtR
don't get your hopes up, there are many more important things in the line before voice navigation....
Google Custom Search

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
[offtopic]
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
It is true here too. Automatic removal of unreferenced libraries may be dangerous in some cases but to do a manual removal you should KNOW which library is unreferenced and maintain the libraries status. With red pill mode it was possible for inexperienced user because the only skills required - knowing something about dependencies. You may not know about Linux (debian flavor) repository kitchen.
Ok. So this is how this just works. Some good some bad. Normally this wouldn't be big thing because gigabytes are almost free but on this device you have to take care of that side and keep your system clean. So I´m enjoying testing and develop and waiting for reflash

Unfortunately it was removed in attempt to guard some stupid people which doesn't understand dependencies. And it looks like nothing is in exchange beyond debian-style 'apt-get' or 'dpkg' which are more dangerous for inexperienced user - this commands may work in traditional Unix style "you ask - I do, no guards".

But that stupid people buys iPhone... and now Nexus One exists on market.
You are just joking but yeah...:P

If you have not yet noticed the stupid people (as you define it there is a Shait load of those people) make this world go round or at least because of people who do not have no idea how to spare and want things NOW Only thing that matters and makes even this N900 possible is profit to it's shareholders and company. So it's better to take account stupid people if you want some continuation and success in market.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-12 at 08:24.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
As he put it in the bugzilla, that's a place for "no brainer" reports of things that are clearly broken or not complete. This particular bug report had requests going back and forth, with some pleading not to change it. Hence, it's not a "no brainer" or "friggen basic" (as you so eloquently put it) bug report, but an issue to discuss and vote on. Think of Brainstorm as a place to consider all the possibilities and chose the best one (or more), and the bugzilla to report broken apps.

It doesn't mean that choice of either option won't be the final outcome, but it means we've considered it and it's not just the whim of a few random people.

My personal preference is to have auto-pause, so i'll vote on the brainstorm issue and vote on one or more solutions to that effect if you'll set it up.

Also, FYI there is a community app to do this right now.
The proposed solution covers all the bases, including your preferred option. It's a no brainer. There was no back and forth, a little finesseing yes, but the solution offered in #13 covers all the bases. People asked "do not do this unless you give the option to turn it off" - that's covered too.

The only area of disagreement, if it can be called that, was a comment clarifying whether it should be PAUSE or STOP which isn't particularly relevant to the solution. Anyone reading the bug can work out how to implement the solution. It really is a no brainer, which is what enhancements in the bugzilla are required to be, and this does not need to be debated in Brainstorm (which doesn't even work right now).

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-01-12 at 08:27.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Have you rebooted? Mine shows the new version okay in settings->about.
Yes. The version is unchanged 42-11.002

Tags
firmware, firmware update, minor update, n900, ota, pr1.0.1, ssu, update