Notices

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
So pre PR 1.3 upgrade, I successfully uninstalled NitDroid, multiboot, and the previous iterations of BackupMenu.item. I successfully downloaded, installed and ran the new version of BackupMenu, creating a backup of both rootfs and optfs.

I then made some changes to my MfE relationship, deleted a game that was taking up too much application memory (OpenArena), and updated a few apps. I then wanted to re-run BackupMenu and create a new backup. However, the bootmenu screen would not show up (I've now tried three times) after rebooting with the keyboard open, and my N900 just boots up into Maemo.

I then reinstalled everything according to post #1 and still no luck. Any ideas?

Make sure bootmenu-n900's installed and working?
For all I know, bootmenu-n900 doesn't work well with PR1.3, and there's nothing I can do about it.

@ndi:
I'll add a "break" from that loop based on a key - say, X or something....

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-10-26 at 07:43.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
I haven't yet upgraded to 1.3 (the OTA still hasn't shown up for the UK), but FSCK isn't working for me either. Well, it works for rootfs, but not for optfs - comes up with an error about /etc/fstab and then I can't read the rest as it's garbled..

Ok, new version all: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/Backu...0101026.tar.gz
I've:
1. enabled usb networking stuff/network terminal
2. improved the feedback for FSCK and added a dummy fstab for it. New feedback shouldn't extend beyond the sides of the active screen area. However, I haven't yet gotten a solution for if there's more lines than can fit on a screen, so it'll run off the bottom of the screen sometimes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I tried posting maybe 20 times. TMO outages make this very difficult.

The latest version you posted doesn't work for me. I used the first post as guide, used tar to unpack to root (paths seem OK), then used the copy command for the menu item, them the two chmod commands.

When booting up the menu works, it lets me go through but when it is time to actually back up it does nothing. "Backup complete" comes up in under a second. It's like tar never ran.

What did I miss?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
When booting up the menu works, it lets me go through but when it is time to actually back up it does nothing. "Backup complete" comes up in under a second. It's like tar never ran.

What did I miss?
I second maybe third or fourth this.

Any way I can debug?

Fixed: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/Backu...01026-2.tar.gz
I didn't understand the correct way to get the result code of a function, so - evidently - it just skipped over that line.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Aaaaaaargh. Bricked again. Damn, Damn, Damn.

Restore bricked my phone, again. Don't know if it's the backup that died or the restore but frankly this is getting way over a little inconvenience. Alarmed breaks my telephony on install, and frankly I don't know if it's the application or the dependencies - it could die at any time and with restore function in Backupmenu dead I'm boned.

Doesn't boot any more after restoring. Which means, basically, that I may be reduced to manually reinstall everything. I'll have to go home, flash it again, install an older version and try an older backup.

And I'm at work, with no XP and no microUSB cable.

Sigh. I can't spend the day with no connectivity. I'm driving home.

Damn.

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
And I'm at work, with no XP and no microUSB cable.

Sigh. I can't spend the day with no connectivity. I'm driving home.

Damn.
This is why I bought extra USB-cable which I carry ALL THE TIME in my pocket and I have also set up virtual XP running in my work PC ;-)

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

My work PC is a quad core running W7 x64 with no hardware virtualization. I can't flash from work. And, no VMWare at work, either, no license.

My laptop has been seized my fiancee. Facebook.

ETA:

Oh, and, seeing as only one version works every few releases, wouldn't it be better to leave the older versions linked as well? Not to mention it would be mighty helpful if it were part of -devel with a postinstall script, that way I wouldn't have to manually go through the process again?

Also, your install instructions are missing a step, installing rootsh. Without it, the instructions fail with "Enable R&D mode if you want to break your device"

And finally, at least one version made an empty backup, and one (I think latest) made a suspiciously small backup.

I'm attempting to go with a backup from 4 days ago and the version from 22nd.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-10-27 at 11:18.

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system