Posts: 35 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Singapore
okay here is the situation....my n900 was givin me trouble wid constant conversation application crashing and the hildon-input-method file using 100 percent cpu and hence draining the battery. i reflashed still with same problem then my phone slipped in the kitchen from my hand from a height of 8 inch high on to the shelf face up and it turned off. I turned the device on after that and there was NO DISPLAY but the fone was turning on normally ( as figured from the front light) I thought it might be a software issue I reflashed the fone (no display in flash mode as well) my fone starts and when i touch the screen i can feel the touch screen vibrations but no display at all. i am open to suggestions .....or shud i just dump my fone...i was thinkin of trying to replace the lcd but i have no idea how it could be broken.....as it was out of warranty i opened my fone up and checked the connections and they were fine....so please advise...thanks to everyone in advance...

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Manchester
My display broke this Friday. It looks similar to the first post in this thread but I can't for the life of me think how my screen got broken, so I don't think it takes much to break the LCD

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71736

If you push down hard on the display, do you see white lights where you push? If you've got the same problem as me you can coax a bit of an image from the display by doing this.

A good suggestion from other threads I've seen has been to use the tv out and check everything else on the device. Unfortunately I can't find my tv-out cable right now :@

New LCDs are about 40 quid in the UK on ebay. Some sellers provide instructions and others provide the tools you need.

I think this video needs slowing down But this guy managed to replace the screen himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQ81cahD1c

The Following User Says Thank You to wreckgar23 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
are you sure the display is truely broken? I would bet that it's much more likely that the connector just came loose.

The Following User Says Thank You to zvogt For This Useful Post:
i neva thought abt using TV out that is a very good suggestion i will know if the lcd is not workin or somethin else is the issue......i opened up my n900 to bits and pieces and re connected everything again still no display so it might be LCD issue..so i dont knw...lets c...but as i said the touch thing is still working...as i get vibrations when i touch the screen..let me try the tv out thing right now... many thanks ! wreckgar23...

ok the tv out is working as well as the touch on the screen...any advice now ? so it shud be the lcd right ?

can anyone suggest a way to check the lcd? please let me know i will try that pushin hard on lcd at last as it might damage it cos apparently i cant see any damages on the lcd....so it might still be a connector issue....so please if there is a way to test the lcd let me know it works great with tv out...even the touch is working so...yea fone is fine otherwise...

Just to let you guys know i got my n900 repaired under warranty :P they replaced the LCD and its working fine now

Originally Posted by naveed5700 View Post
okay here is the situation....my n900 was givin me trouble wid constant conversation application crashing and the hildon-input-method file using 100 percent cpu and hence draining the battery. i reflashed still with same problem then my phone slipped in the kitchen from my hand from a height of 8 inch high on to the shelf face up and it turned off. I turned the device on after that and there was NO DISPLAY but the fone was turning on normally ( as figured from the front light) I thought it might be a software issue I reflashed the fone (no display in flash mode as well) my fone starts and when i touch the screen i can feel the touch screen vibrations but no display at all. i am open to suggestions .....or shud i just dump my fone...i was thinkin of trying to replace the lcd but i have no idea how it could be broken.....as it was out of warranty i opened my fone up and checked the connections and they were fine....so please advise...thanks to everyone in advance...