Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm confident the transitions could have been better managed.
Granted But I still think most people are expecting too much when comparisons are made to the iPhone.

Off topic slightly:
consider this a, context is king!, flaming fuyck off
Slightly inappropriate tags......

Last edited by DarkPand0r; 2010-02-17 at 00:09.

Originally Posted by awwaiid View Post
Why don't you count all of the debian apps that run just fine? Easy-deb is just a click away... and from there there are 20,000 unique packages to install!
Add to that the ability to port or even write just about any program you could the N900 allows users to be as ambitious as they want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EzInKy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
Granted But I still think most people are expecting too much when comparisons are made to the iPhone.
I think they're just expecting the wrong thing.

as for tags-- only one was mine, and it's harmless.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
All iPhone applications are compatible, Maemo applications need to be ported, Reply fail
Haha good point. I retract my comment failing your comment

I'm not hating apple, I'm questioning why a device needs to have "100,000 apps" in order to be viable.

I posted the fact that the 900 can run a full desktop OS as a testament to its flexibility and resources, something "I" find remarkable, and not possible on other "pocketable" devices. ..not the sole basis for having the phone. I'm sorry that your limited scope prevented you from seeing my point, but I feel it is far from a "useless" argument. Especially if in running a non-native OS possibly provides me the missing functionality had w/my previous device, which is access to slingbox, and online XM account...2 of my 5 primary uses.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Not to mention like 60k of the 100k are 'flashlight' apps, 20k are duplicate games/apps, 10k are 'lite' versions, 9k are ebook readers, and the remaining 1k are potentially useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
...And as others have said, most iPhone apps were not developed by Apple. They were developed by 3rd parties for making money!

Comparing the size of N900 community with other platforms(iPhone, WM, Andorid and Symbian) there isn't that much incentive for 3rd party developers or companies to make apps on it...
Exactly. I couldn't code my way out of a paper bag, but after watching "Planet of the apps", I was thinking about trying to start a team as well.

Given the small, and or unpublished, market share of M5 and the 900, what are developers' motivation? Apps come with customer base, not the other way around.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
People who have studied the issue say that the typical iPhone user runs 5-10 programs, so I would think that those would be more important than however many the users have available but don't use.

I'm reminded of an old chess story. Someone asked a chessmaster how many moves he thought ahead when he was playing. "Oh, seven!" came the impressive reply. Then they went went to Capablanca, a long-time World Champion, and asked him how many moves HE thought ahead. "Just one" he said simply. "But I make sure it is the right one."

So quality trumps quantity every time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Like the replies - some more than others :-P

I didn't mean that 100,000 apps makes a better phone. But just take a look at Nokia as a company. It's big and really has great potential in selling lots of Nokia N900s which I believe they do, so to me it just sounds reasonable in promoting your product with more apps.. Is that so wrong? Besides Android was released Oct. 2008, but grew a lot faster in the first few months than maemo has.

I like my Nokia N900 very much, and I like the maemo. But without being a salesman I still believe that the best way to improve this phone is by delivering more programs to it.

And no I don't want Windows NT 4.0. Who really wants that? It's suppose to be a (fun) phone, not a pc which I'm suppose to programme on (PyGTKEditor - wtf do I need that for?)

Originally Posted by webmok View Post

I didn't mean that 100,000 apps makes a better phone. But just take a look at Nokia as a company. It's big and really has great potential in selling lots of Nokia N900s which I believe they do, so to me it just sounds reasonable in promoting your product with more apps.. Is that so wrong? Besides Android was released Oct. 2008, but grew a lot faster in the first few months than maemo has.

I like my Nokia N900 very much, and I like the maemo. But without being a salesman I still believe that the best way to improve this phone is by delivering more programs to it.
I think the problem is that Nokia isn't supporting just maemo. But Symbian also (heck I think Symbian has more people working on it then maemo). The other issue is that maemo is limited to Nokia devices (as of now).

I think that's part of their reasoning for open sourcing Symbian and now the Meego merger with Intel. To get more hands on deck so they aren't doing all the work themselves on the operating system. Then the QT cross-compatibility allows apps developed for any of the Symbian or Meego variant OS to work on any other QT using device.

And no I don't want Windows NT 4.0. Who really wants that? It's suppose to be a (fun) phone, not a pc which I'm suppose to programme on (PyGTKEditor - wtf do I need that for?)
The maemo tablets had more of an interest to be a computer rather than a media or phone device. It's only with the N900 that you started seeing phone aspects introduced (also why it lacks alot of regular phone features). It's still more PC than a phone, and likewise the maemo OS developers have focused more on the PC aspect.

Software development wise you see a range of applications, though running a PC like environment is still a popular choice (e.g. Easy Debian)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-02-17 at 01:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-bye loser, context is king!, numbers serious business, webdick prick