Active Topics

I have had MeeGo on my netbook for a couple of weeks now, and there are some things I just don't get. I thought MeeGo was some kind of unification of netbooks and mobile devices shearing a common linux core an a GUI based around Qt. Guess what. MeeGo for netbooks has no Qt what so ever. There is nothing in the GUI that is based on Qt. It has Qt bundled, but so does every other linux distro, not to mention KDE based WMs that is all Qt.

So what was the point of MeeGo? Chrome OS will be out soon, and so will its fully open source sibling Chromium OS. For a netbook I would like a full fledges OS like the Ubuntu NR or a web based super light thing like the Chromium, preferably both. Why would I care for MeeGo when not a single thing in the GUI will be interchangable with the phone version? confuised.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The first version of MeeGo has Clutter/MX UI. It was too soon to change the entire interface. 1.1 in 6 months will be more QT based.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
And why is that better than previuos ones?

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The first version of MeeGo has Clutter/MX UI. It was too soon to change the entire interface. 1.1 in 6 months will be more QT based.
Too soon to change the entire interface, OK, that is understandable, but as it is there is not a single byte of Qt in there. It is a Moblin 100 percent.

Are you expecting the UX to be the same across devices?

The goal is to run the same apps, if i'm not mistaken

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Are you expecting the UX to be the same across devices?

The goal is to run the same apps, if i'm not mistaken
But using Qt would be a large part of achieving that goal. What I think bsving is refering to is the lack of Qt and what he expects is just Moblin, and therefore wondering what the point of the whole MeeGo and convergence ideal is. I mean if that's the backbone of the MeeGo project, shouldn't it be there at the start?

I have no idea of the roadmap of MeeGo and haven't tried it out, I have no idea how much if any Qt is in it at all. Personally I'll decide on whether to use MeeGo by what services is offers me and what I can do with it, Im not particularly worried if I can run the same apps on my phone through to my desktop through to my TV....

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-06-14 at 19:24.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
So what's the deal? MX is not bad - it is Clutter based, can be styled with CSS and is rather fast. There is a build of MX-1.0 in Maemo 5 extras-devel currently and the Clutter/MX demo I did compiles and runs on Maemo 5 and on MeeGo netbook. More development choices = more development. How that can be bad?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
So what's the deal? MX is not bad - it is Clutter based, can be styled with CSS and is rather fast. There is a build of MX-1.0 in Maemo 5 extras-devel currently and the Clutter/MX demo I did compiles and runs on Maemo 5 and on MeeGo netbook. More development choices = more development. How that can be bad?
It's using GObject - OH NOEZ! RUN!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
It is bad because Nokia has abandoned Maemo because of it. Besides, more development choices also means more fragmentation, and not necessarily real world progress.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Have you tried dual booting Maemo 5 with Android (aka NITdroid). Seemingly it is progressing faster than MeeGo

There is now working wi-fi and sound. Other features are yet to come. Thanks to DJ_Steve and other curious minds...