Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Ok, using the idea of allnameswereout, I've compiled an PREEMPT kernel with the wireless working. But I have no way to prove it's preempt because I removed the preempt string

Of course, I have no way of telling if it's preempt so feel free to treat this like BS

What I just said about the /proc thing wasn't true . I just compiled another PREEMPT kernel with PREEMPT in the uname like normal and those proc entries were still not there. This still could be very likely a PREEMPT kernel.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-08-15 at 16:00.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, I've used that trick before with proprietary kernel modules (IIRC NVidia kernel module didn't like the different name) while I didn't want to recompile it.

What uname returns isn't that important. It doesn't say much. For example, you could call your Linux kernel 2.6.30 if you really wanted to.

You can definetely check if PREEMPT (RT) is enabled:

Code:
# cat /proc/sys/kernel/kernel_preemption
This should return 1.

See this article for more in-depth details.

You can also do some benchmarks.

You can share how it 'feels'. This is also worth something. No NIT is the same, so if you'd share your build other people can test and/or benchmark as well.

Ironially I'm not sure what kind of kernel I'm running right now, but it made the NIT a lot more responsive... uname tells me no useful information though. Case in my point for my 2nd point in this post.

PREEMPT (RT) should work very well on the current NITs with OMAP2. Look here. It has been ported to Linux/ARM (OMAP) since 2005.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
You can definetely check if PREEMPT (RT) is enabled:

Code:
# cat /proc/sys/kernel/kernel_preemption
This should return 1.

See this article for more in-depth details.

You can also do some benchmarks.

You can share how it 'feels'. This is also worth something. No NIT is the same, so if you'd share your build other people can test and/or benchmark as well.

PREEMPT (RT) should work very well on the current NITs with OMAP2. Look here. It has been ported to Linux/ARM (OMAP) since 2005.
We aren't using PREEMPT (RT) (which is enabled with CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT), we are just using plain PREEMPT (which is enabled with CONFIG_PREEMPT)

/proc/sys/kernel/kernel_preemption does not exist on the nits when using preempt.
I thought it was my versioning that may have removed it but when I flashed a proper preempt kernel (with the uname showing it was preempt), that proc entry still wasn't there.

Anyway, here is my patch to enable PREEMPT and trick the versioning:
http://pastebin.com/ffc8f11b

EDIT: I'd try that CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT patch but it has disappeared off the internet

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-08-16 at 09:05.

What a great response! The mention of using preempt rt is particularly interesting. Is anyone one else interested / going to give it a try? Once i finish this paper im writing i will give it a go, just been swamped since i made the original post.

Craig

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
We aren't using PREEMPT (RT) (which is enabled with CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT), we are just using plain PREEMPT (which is enabled with CONFIG_PREEMPT)

/proc/sys/kernel/kernel_preemption does not exist on the nits when using preempt.
I thought it was my versioning that may have removed it but when I flashed a proper preempt kernel (with the uname showing it was preempt), that proc entry still wasn't there.

Anyway, here is my patch to enable PREEMPT and trick the versioning:
http://pastebin.com/ffc8f11b

EDIT: I'd try that CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT patch but it has disappeared off the internet
Hi qwerty12,

I believe the PREEMPT (RT) kernel is called linux-rt

The webpage is http://rt.wiki.kernel.org

The advantage of this kernel is that you can finetune the performance while it runs

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Craig@dcs View Post
What a great response! The mention of using preempt rt is particularly interesting. Is anyone one else interested / going to give it a try? Once i finish this paper im writing i will give it a go, just been swamped since i made the original post.

Craig
Yes, I am, however I don't want to lose my current kernel (its fast ) and don't know anymore which one it is. How can I find this out?

Maybe a wiki page which contains all the kernel changes / options (with links) is a good idea?

I also don't have ScratchBox installed anymore. And because there is a new version in the making I am waiting for that. But I am also willing to try Mamona...

[edit]Nevermind, I think I'm using Fanoush his SDHC kernel. I used KVM to create a i386 VM, and installed SB2-beta on it... unfortunately maemo.research.nokia.com doesn't resolve...[/edit]

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-08-16 at 17:52.

Tags
preempt rt