Notices

I've seen the N900 cam works using Google Talk when communicating with Nokia N8xx units. I'm curious to find out whether it works when the unit at the other end is not a Nokia Nxxx unit but rather a PC, for example. Could one of the lucky 300 test this?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
He ? First thing I heard it's actually usefull apart from the 'mirror' app
Where did you see/read that ?

I though I read somewhere that the video protocol used by GoogleTalk video was not supported yet by the Telepathy framework. Has that changed ?

And even with the frontal cam ? That would be very good news, but I'm a bit sceptical. Feel free to try to convince me ...

What do I know. I just read it here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=119

I have seen N800 users chat with cams between themselves a few years ago so that should work. What I'm interested in is, does it work with other devices, whether in Skype or some other chatting based software. That would be awesome.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
I have seen N800 users chat with cams between themselves a few years ago so that should work. What I'm interested in is, does it work with other devices, whether in Skype or some other chatting based software. That would be awesome.
Don't have one of the devices myself but in following threads and things last I heard the video chatting capabilities were disabled because they did not work properly in current firmware/software; something to do with codec negotiation issues or somethin. Once those are resolved I'm sure there will be at least the same level of support as for N8x0 series which was google talk and SIP. Skype is up to skype, and since the first days of the N800 they never bothered to build video support in for whatever proprietary reason (though I heard they're moving their linux client to open source soon, so maybe that can change); other protocols are just a question of whether they support video in open source implementations I believe.

For the record I've been using video calls to PCs AND other devices on my N800 using SIP for 2 years now, so don't see a practical reason that won't be the case on N900 once codec bug gets fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
can't speak for n900 but i have done video calls over sip on my asterisk box between n810 and desktop running counterpath bria

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
I have done many Gizmo to pc video calls with my N810 and it works great over At&t 3g or wifi.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
since the first days of the N800 they never bothered to build video support in for whatever proprietary reason (though I heard they're moving their linux client to open source soon, so maybe that can change);.
They are open sourcing only the user interface, none of the 'actual functionality', so not much hope there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Just saw on Nokia's official product page that the usage of the frontal / webcam and availability of videocalling is subject to be defined later. I assume this is being negotiated with the carriers. So one of the major benefits of the N900 - the ability to do video calling over WIFI/Voip may not be available because the carriers will resist it.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-19 at 17:28.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I don't think it has anything to do with carriers, especially as there is no special NAM crippled version or sorts. In all the ways a Maemo device can be disruptive to carrier business, wifi video is probably the least relevant. I'd rather say it a software/quality issue.

OK, it's slowly sinking in - the threads I've read on N8xx video chatting with PCs, they were Linux driven only. Hmm. Great for those with Linux, but most of the people I know are using Windows based machinery.

Tags
maemo 5, video call