I constantly wonder about this. It's a serious question, not a rhetorical one.

A drunken brain damaged chimpanzee would have done better.

Is there any reason he hasn't been fired yet? I don't know, but when he is I would fly him on a helicopter to an abandoned oil platform in the Baltic Sea and set it on fire, just for poetic justice's sake.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
He will write poems n elegys then dn do that pls :lol:

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
because the board of directors and biggest stockholders still thinks nokia will success with wpstrategy...

btw he was interviewes some weeks ago saying theyr will come back and be bigger than samsung/apple again....

personally I dont give a **** about nokia anymore. Its just stupid old.men running it with bussines
s thinking from before year 2000. Means they work well with that similar other company starting with M...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-03-17 at 10:37.

Nokia wasn't confident in itself as much as BlackBerry is.

Nokia decided it needed an ecosystem "now". Another year with losses would've thrown them under.

They decided going Android would create a monopoly in the industry, an one that would require decades to un-do.
They realized they could be easily pushed out of the way by stronger competitors like LG and Samsung who make components for them.

So the only other option was Windows Phone. They didn't expect Android to advance so quickly (SGS2, Gnex, HOX). They didn't expect WP to flunk so quickly.

If Nokia had known, they would've gone through with the MeeGo route.
And who knows, they could've bought Palm and use them as a short-gap. And its even possible, BlackBerry would've used MeeGo as their next ecosystem, working together with Nokia and making sure not to cross boundaries.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
because the board of directors and biggest stockholders still thinks nokia will success with wpstrategy...

btw he was interviewes some weeks ago saying theyr will come back and be bigger than samsung/apple again....

personally I dont give a **** about nokia anymore. Its just stupid old.men running it with bussines
s thinking from before year 2000. Means they work well with that similar other company starting with M...
I guess that's the only plausible explanation. But how long does it take for someone to realize a huge mistake has been made that needs to be corrected? Especially when the people who need to realize this are the ones with a vested interest in the outcome.

It's just incredible for an external observer to see what still continues happening. Elop has single-handedly destroyed Nokia with his dumbarse decisions.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Nokia wasn't confident in itself as much as BlackBerry is.

Nokia decided it needed an ecosystem "now". Another year with losses would've thrown them under.

They decided going Android would create a monopoly in the industry, an one that would require decades to un-do.
They realized they could be easily pushed out of the way by stronger competitors like LG and Samsung who make components for them.

So the only other option was Windows Phone. They didn't expect Android to advance so quickly (SGS2, Gnex, HOX). They didn't expect WP to flunk so quickly.

If Nokia had known, they would've gone through with the MeeGo route.
And who knows, they could've bought Palm and use them as a short-gap. And its even possible, BlackBerry would've used MeeGo as their next ecosystem, working together with Nokia and making sure not to cross boundaries.
Yes, exactly. They needed an echosystem and they could have created one all of their own. Build some momentum, add developer critical mass and applications. Nokia's failure wasn't on the innovation or engineering front. It was in strategy and marketing. What a disaster.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Nokia decided it needed an ecosystem "now".
They had an ecosystem. I cannot believe Elop brainwashed so many people into believing they had none. They had the worlds third largest, but fastest growing application store. They had everything from music to maps to various cloud services. Everything was in place and under their control.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
They had an ecosystem. I cannot believe Elop brainwashed so many people into believing they had none. They had the worlds third largest
In terms of revenue Ovi was bigger than the Android marketplace so it might have been considered the second biggest. Beyond apps they also had maps, navigation and 'Comes With Music'. Look at the appalling mess Apple has made of maps and the excrutiating price of music from iTunes. NOKIA also had a mobile payment system, making payments with your mobile will soon be a huge global industry.

You could quite persuasively argue NOKIA had the number one ecosystem.

Now we see how the smartphone market has grown since Feb 2011 with China becoming the largest, fastest growing market (a fact that was entirely predictable in Feb 2011) and what Elop has destroyed becomes even more sickening. The growth is happening in markets like China and India that were formerly NOKIA strongholds. How big would NOKIA's ecosystem be now if it weren't for Elop's sabotage?

Elop's bull5h1t about 'differentiation' has been exposed for what it is too with every WPx phone manufacturer producing models that look the spitting image of NOKIA's Lumia devices (only cheaper).

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Firefox OS devices eating into the Ashas market soon. An HTML5 runtime seems a lot more compelling to me than J2ME in the current world.

Elop is Microsoft's Trojan horse, that's obvious, nothing he's done made sense for NOKIA. As for the board, one day the truth about why they did what they did or didn't do what they should have done (I'm sounding like Rumsfeld ) will come out.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Actuall the stock has raised a a bit lattely. Maybe 920 will be a big hit in china as Elop hopes...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
In terms of revenue Ovi was bigger than the Android marketplace...
In which year?

You could quite persuasively argue NOKIA had the number one ecosystem.
Again, in which year? 2007, yes. 2012, no. 2011, still no. 2010, perhaps. So I ask for clarification on which year you're speaking on please.