Notices

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Would be good if someone could reverse engineer Nokia's Ovi Maps format.

To gain what? I don't see any sane reason.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Well we do need a solid file format for vector rendering. I'd prefer an open one though.

Marble 1.3 RC 1 is currently being build and will appear in extras-devel in a couple of hours. If you give it a try, I'd be interested in feedback on the kinetic spinning. We improved it, but if the majority agrees that it doesn't behave sane enough yet I'll disable it for the final release.

Routing instructions are now more verbose on unnamed roads. This may generate some noise, especially instructions in the middle of unnamed roads due to what I think is a bug in monav - sometimes it reports intersections where there are none in the original data.

Is there interest to have a map theme for http://openbusmap.org/ shipped with marble-maps? We had a Google Code-In student create it recently and the author of openbusmap.org agreed that we can use it in Marble, so it'd be easy to add it. The map theme provides a public transport view on top of OpenStreetMap.

In the last weeks I've been working on a service running on my server that continuously creates fresh offline data (monav offline routing and offline search) and pushes it to the right KDE server. Once I ironed out the last remaining quirks (a handful of regions fails to convert at the moment and my server has too little memory to process very large countries), I'll switch it live such that data processed immediately becomes available inside Marble. That means you'll have the option to update your offline maps every 1-2 weeks in the future. You can track the thing at http://sisyphus.nienhueser.de/ even ;-)

Note that our list of voice navigation speakers is growing continuously thanks to recent Google Code-In contributions. Find them at http://edu.kde.org/marble/speakers.php and check back soon as I'll add a handful more in the next days.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
To gain what? I don't see any sane reason.
I'm assuming this is in reply to my post. Some reasons:
  • readily available maps from Nokia with good worldwide coverage
  • offline routing
  • fairly decent database of postcodes and other POIs

Now if Nokia released a decent version of Ovi Maps for the N900 (and from what I read N9's version is still lacking compared to the Symbian versions), then this wouldn't be necessary.

Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Well we do need a solid file format for vector rendering. I'd prefer an open one though.
That's what I was thinking about, and it's also my reply for kureyon. I think, that relying on closed things is too much unnecessary risk in many aspects - at least, I hope that lesson Ubuntu took from java/oracle mess is enough remainder for other projects to. No sane reason to invest time and work into implementing closed maps, that can become unavailable in any moment, if their owners decide to do so.

Is there interest to have a map theme for http://openbusmap.org/ shipped with marble-maps? We had a Google Code-In student create it recently and the author of openbusmap.org agreed that we can use it in Marble, so it'd be easy to add it. The map theme provides a public transport view on top of OpenStreetMap.
Definitely yes, if it would be provided via Marble maps package, as other non-standard maps If You ask me, such custom package could also hold more uncommon things, like map of Mars etc.

Thanks for the update, and keep that good work! Installing immediately.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
In the last weeks I've been working on a service running on my server that continuously creates fresh offline data (monav offline routing and offline search) and pushes it to the right KDE server. Once I ironed out the last remaining quirks (a handful of regions fails to convert at the moment and my server has too little memory to process very large countries), I'll switch it live such that data processed immediately becomes available inside Marble. That means you'll have the option to update your offline maps every 1-2 weeks in the future. You can track the thing at http://sisyphus.nienhueser.de/ even ;-)
Is this the routing information, or also including the map data? Do i have to get map data separately, f.e. from geofabrik.de (OSM tiles)? Would this data anyway be usable at all?

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-01-06 at 12:39.

Hello,

I have a problem with donloading routing for Poland. Germany went well but trying to download Poland always fails- it starts and stops. Any hints how to provide logs or any way to download? It worked some time ago fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Hello,

I have a problem with donloading routing for Poland. Germany went well but trying to download Poland always fails- it starts and stops. Any hints how to provide logs or any way to download? It worked some time ago fine.
I'm having similar results with the Monav Estonia map - the download starts and stops immediately. I was also so stupid to delete the existing map in the hope that the upgrade just does not show up . In comparison - the map for Finland downloaded and installed OK.

Last edited by acrux; 2012-01-09 at 08:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
@don_falcone: It includes routing (monav) and offline search for each region. The map tiles are not included and as long as we don't have our own vector format, you have to use the "Download region" feature. Providing tile data for countries like we do for routing is not practical as the required size to store the tiles is too much.

@fw190, @acrux: Thanks for noticing. The sisyphus service I described above deleted them by accident (it cleans up outdated data after a successful upload). It is fixed now and even has updated data (see below).

@everyone: I switched the sisyphus service live now, so offline routing and offline search data is updated every ~ two weeks now. The data is pretty much complete except for France, Germany and the bike and pedestrian maps for the German provinces. These are still the versions from May 2011. Please note that while the majority of countries will show updates, a couple of regions now have different names.
Please post missing regions or requests for other regions here (I need a server with .pbf data though). Updated data for Germany, France and bike/pedestrian data for the German provinces will follow in the next weeks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
I can report that now it works! Downloading it now! Thanks for the good work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:

Tags
marble, nokia n900