Hi,

i'm on it since a few weeks... with a displaylink usb adapter but it's not yet working. Sadly the processor of the n900 will be a bit slow powering a desktop compareable to the motorola one...

But with the debian changeroot i tihink it's possible if we get the dislpaylink drivers to work...

cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to chris102 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Working on it; I have an adapter that should work in theory but it uses a different driver.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=873

Here is the link to the SW project:

https://github.com/quentinsf/vnc2dl/wiki

I'm extremely bitter though because nokia should have had this a long time ago. And what I heard about meego says it will be no better about openness, that's the price of admission for a subsidized phone I guess.

If it's possible to root the device maybe I will have to vote with my dollars and make the switch to android.

Last edited by sarahn; 2011-01-07 at 06:03. Reason: Added link to SW for displaylink monitor

I NOT waiting for meego. Come March/May this year I will be on Android. Just waiting to see what come out then.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
PS: Is Nokia even at CES?
Woah there! CES is held in North America. You can't mix North America and Nokia marketing. That's like sunlight and vampires. And why Peter Schneider sparkles.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
A lot of people seem to be confused about the dock, saying the n900 / n8 whatever else can do this...

TV out isn't what this phone does.

It runs a desktop UI including a fully fledged desktop version of firefox when docked, whilst maintaining the phone in a window on the desktop (that is able to be full screened etc) and all applications are able to be run in tabs in windows...

Sure the n900 may be able to run a desktop UI through windows98 which may or may not work with tv out, but it doesn't really compare to having an off the self product that is able to function as a phone, TV media centre with remote, netbook and desktop, across 3 different UI's, and that is more powerful than my msi wind...

I'm not a huge fan of Motorola and the motoblur ui is inferior to stock android, but props where props are due, this thing is leaps and bounds ahead of what other people are doing and as long as the accessories are priced right, this thing will change the way phones are used, and I imagine as of yesterday, every other phone maker is trying to recreate this...

I'm still waiting to see what the n9 is going to be before I upgrade from my n900, but my doubts are growing and I think are summed up perfectly by:

Originally Posted by cenwesi
PS: Is Nokia even at CES?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
Nokia is at CES. From what I've read Nokia are using a diffuse approach to CES rather than a booth focused approach. They have their devices showing off at other exhibitor's booths.
If Nokia don't have a MeeGo device ready to show, this is likely a wise choice. Given the guffaws the very thought of Symbian inspire in most American tech journalists, an expensive booth for the N8 and E7 would be a waste.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
WOW SO COOL!
So what happens when I get a call? I stop surfin the internets to talk to my boss whos convo will be under 30 seconds? Then I dock and boot it back up to have my girl friend call and talk me to death cause I got no computer to fuq around with as she blabing about work. Its a cool concept but it wont replace a computer. About docking the n900 to your computer....just VNC to the N900

How about a bluetooth headset deyons?

What I really want is one of these in my purse: http://www.lilliputweb.net/index.php...category_id=52

Originally Posted by lwa View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Motorola and the motoblur ui is inferior to stock android, but props where props are due, this thing is leaps and bounds ahead of what other people are doing and as long as the accessories are priced right, this thing will change the way phones are used, and I imagine as of yesterday, every other phone maker is trying to recreate this...
It's amazing to me this hasn't happened before on a grand commercial scale.

Further innovating theoretically did this a long time ago but they are trying to target the OEM market not the general public. I can't tell if they've actually shipped a product.

It's not clear to me if the phone is driving the netbook or if there's a separate processor and the netbook could theoretically operate without the phone. I would assume the former but that's not guaranteed.

But -- this breaks the ice for the market!

Oh yeah, maybe something like this too: http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_vr920.html